Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Moody, unstable, angry and irritable

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I feel irritable and angry all the time, I hate it. I'm just so moody and unstable, even if I'm feeling okay one minute, one little thing can make me really upset.
What sucks is I try to do all the things you're supposed to do to feel better: eat healthy, take Vitamins (I specifically take B Vitamins because they're supposed to be good for depression), exercise often (I like to take walks whenever it's warm out--although this freezing winter is killing me--and when it's cold out I do dance DVDs inside), have a hobby (I take pictures and do Photoshop and stuff)...I saw a therapist once a week for like two years but stopped going because it wasn't helping...I have a really supportive, patient boyfriend (and I feel bad because I often take my frustrations out on him)...I just don't know what to do. It seems like I'm doing everything I should be, which is part of the reason it's so frustrating. I just feel broken.
And there haven't been any major life events to cause this, although I am underemployed, worried about money, depressed about getting older (I'm 27 but I wish I weren't), I've always had low self-esteem, I live with my boyfriend but I hate his house and don't like his roommate but can't afford to move out, I feel like my life is empty and boring and blah, no matter what hobbies I try taking up they never seem to be enough to fulfill me. And don't try suggesting religion; the thing is, I used to be really religious and it has slowly dissipated over the years. I would love to be able to believe like I used to, but I just can't feel it that way anymore. I still pray to God but nothing ever changes anyway. My life's not going anywhere, it feels like things are never gonna get better, like I'm always just going to be messed up and miserable and dysfunctional.
My boyfriend thinks I should go on medication, but a) I don't have the money and b) I don't have insurance. Besides, I don't know if I am depressed, actually, because I generally have a lot of energy and am able to do stuff like workout and clean and stuff...I just don't know, what do you guys think?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper SomebodyElse
|

replied February 27th, 2010
are u on a contraceptive pill? could be that. xx
|

replied March 5th, 2010
Are you in the US? I'm in Australia and I haven't got any idea what the health care system is like there, but because I'm a low income-earner, I qualify for bulk billing with a lot of GPs.
My GP was able to diagnose depression and prescribe an antidepressant, which I buy at a discount, again because of my low-earning status. Is there anything similar in your locale?
Either way, I would say it's definitely worth seeing a proper, licensed psychiatrist, even if you have to pay, for at least a one-off session to discuss your issues and get a professional diagnosis. They should be able to write up a report with treatment options for you, if they think you need them. I would also make it clear what you've already tried.

On that particular note - how annoying is it when you're looking for advice, and all you hear is stuff you already knew and already tried? Done exercise, tried to stay social, set myself goals, trying to counter irrational negative thoughts, yep yep yep, doesn't work, got any other ideas? People are trying to help, but you just get frustrated because they haven't got the answer and they get offended because you aren't happy with anything they suggest. Argh!
|

replied September 29th, 2012
Wow this sounds like my life exactly. I am 27 and you just wrote my life story except i have a baby. But yea I do know exactly where your coming from with the religion been there done that... boyfriend poor guy we take our crap out on them... money seems like there is never enough. I guess i feel validated by your story because I am the same age and everything. Advice.... i would say maybe we are not reaching our full potential or choosing the right happy friends to give us stability?? Cuz sometimes good friends and having the money you need to live a normal life can take the burden off from the negitives that I am pretty sure everyone has at some point in life Wink thanks for your story cuz now I know maybe its just a life stage and it will pass. Best of luck
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2012
I feel exactly same. It feels like it will never change. The more I try different things to get out of this feeling, the more hopeless I get. But I still believe I will get out of it one day. I am sure there is something wrong with me cant figure out what is wrong. I left job and went back to parents home where I was raised. Now I am living with parents but still feeling same. This feeling cost me alot. I lose my glamourous life in which I was very happy. There should be name to this specific feeling. I think medical science has not discovered it yet.
|

replied April 30th, 2013
Up in the air
Hey.. one thing i learnt, because i feel the same way, is that you feel alone and trapped and every says life is so short but why do we feel this way. It seems every one has a little of everything in them(anxiety,panic- but its the degree) and when you get really down in the dumps and feel like crap it seems really that alot of people don't want to be around you because their not feeling like you, and also they don't want to feel like you do.. so that's why it seems your so alone more.. i think we should have better support groups to conquer this thing better as we carry on in everyday life.. I used to be out all the time, work a lot, hang out with friends, in sports.. Now it's like i am just trying to get by with my demons and not doing the things i used to do, it's like a workout for my head everyday just to sit and over think all the time, it gets so tiresome. There must of been a moment in time when it click in my head not to be happy and positive when i use to all the time. Trust me, you can think all the time and wish i don't want to feel this way, it is chemical and really my doctor is a flop, go out and find a good doctor even if it's just for your piece of mind to be happy and healthy again because some doctor's don't really care they say your young and think there's nothing wrong but hinse.. WHY do we feel like we do.
|

replied May 14th, 2013
I quit my job some months back...I used to blame it on my job, family, income, friends etc. Reading this i feel like i'm not the only one going through it. I'm really depressed most of the time, cause i'm unemployed and my friends are earning way more than me, they all have a life better than mine. I take out all my frustration on my Boy friend and he is incredibly sweet and understanding, but then i feel guilty. Some times my guy says i'm never happy, and it hurts alot but i'm beginning to believe its true.... there are few seconds and moments wherein i feel happy and positive, but most of the time i'm just depressed. I hope getting a job will help me, but deep down i highly doubt it, atleast it keeps me occupied and exhausted if nothing else. I've tried a lot to be positive...i just don't have the solution. Sad
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2013
Enjoy life to the fullest.
I would like to say whenever you feel that way try to keep yourself quiet for 5 mins and listen some favorites songs on during that time period. Then try to remember your old good days when you were so happy and every one loves you. Keep imagine till your mood gets in the good form. It will really help alot. And i am sure those people have a big heart inside them but they don't show to any one coz of ego or something.. I wud also say do all the activities which every one does... n stop taking medicines... you have been given life to enjoy everythings and not anything to enjoy life...
|

replied September 4th, 2013
Hello
I think you are normal, but sometimes the brain needs something to make it happy and not bored of daily life ruitine. For example go to new places, try joining a gym, go to free events that are offered in your community. I don't think its you I believe its your ruitine change it up and make it more fun so you can look forward to each and every day. Also religion honestly is key because we are technically only living in this world to please God, what do we necessarily need from this world? we must work hard to go to heaven Smile Religion is very important because God created us and only he and him alone understands us. Sometimes when we are put in bad situations that's God testing us, we should keep him with us wherever we go. Look into Islam its honestly a religion of peace:) Good luck to you and my god bless you and all of us
|

replied September 4th, 2013
Hello
I think you are normal, but sometimes the brain needs something to make it happy and not bored of daily life ruitine. For example go to new places, try joining a gym, go to free events that are offered in your community. I don't think its you I believe its your ruitine change it up and make it more fun so you can look forward to each and every day. Also religion honestly is key because we are technically only living in this world to please God, what do we necessarily need from this world? we must work hard to go to heaven Religion is very important because God created us and only he and him alone understands us. Sometimes when we are put in bad situations that's God testing us, we should keep him with us wherever we go. Look into Islam its honestly a religion of peace:) Good luck to you and my god bless you and all of us
|

replied January 8th, 2014
I feel the exact same at the moment!!
Hi there

I can really relate to how you are feeling with unstable and anger.

I feel like a moody monster at the moment. I am angry at everything and everyone - hate the world - pee'd off at everything then something could change in me and then I feel like I cant cope and suddenly get scared.

I have been diagnosed with depression and am currently on medication for it but they dont work for me however the tablets help my severe IBS pain so I dont want to change my meds.

From reading the posts, it would seem that come 27/28 (I am 2Cool we go through a 'phase' of feeling like this.

So I guess for everyone concerned, if you are really worried - see your GP, if not to that extent, ride the stormy wave to our 30's!
|

replied February 7th, 2014
Am I Bi-Polar, Depressed, have Anxiety, or what???
OMGEEE!, I think this is so weird to have the same thoughts and feelings as you all. I am usually a happy person. I love turning up and being a social butterfly, but a LOT lately (and previously in my past) I feel so empty. Every minute feels like forever, I don't really have an appetite(if I do eat something its because I'm bored), I am quick tempered(0 tolerance & 0 patience), I snap at my boyfriend at little things but he is always trying to make me happy he's super loving. Sometimes I lock myself in my room and just lay in my bed doing ABSOLUTY NOTHING(my family hates when I do this). I am a beautiful 21 year old Libra female, I live with my auntie & her kids(we all get along and are loving to each other) and I have mad talent in being a master barber and hair stylist, I am currently struggling to stay committed to the gym for a sexy summer body. However at the moment and lately NONE of these things matter to any degree! I'm always stressing/focusing about the imperfect things in my life. I cry out the blue when I get so frustrated and feel like yelling at the top of my lungs, I feel hopeless and so freaking irritated. Sometimes I don't even know what the heck is my problem. I hate being alone with a passion, so just imagine the fit I throw when its time for my boyfriend to leave, smh. He left about two hours ago and I been going through it since Sad (which is probably why I'm tying this and researching how I feel on google) The crazy thing about this is I am aware of my problem (obviously since I'm typing this) but why can't I do anything about it??? It's like I'm watching myself self-destruct.

btw I am 420 friendly but have not been in the mood for it lately so my boyfriend has double 420. I rarely drink, I am not on meds or take any other drugs regularly.
|