Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

4 months off Depo, crazy periods,

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I am 4 months past due for my depo shot. For the first 3 months I didn't have my period at all. This month I have had my period 3 seperate times. Every time I have had very bad cramping, and nausea, and heavier bleeding than what I was used to prior to ever getting the shot. This time my blood is VERY dark, black really. Not only is it black, but it is also thicker. My cramps are really bad, my legs are cramping as well, im nauseas, and light headed at times. I was just wondering if any of this was normal? Im out of town right now, but plan on getting my shot as soon as I get back home. Do you think it would be okay for my body to get the shot again?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2017
Community Volunteer
The term "normal" is not very useful.

When you come off birth control, your body must start its own hormonal cycle again. This new cycle is often different to what it was before. It also takes Depo a while too get fully out of your body. According to the manufacturer, this can take up to 9 months.

The best thing you can do is see your doctor. Birth control pills for a few months may help you to get this under control. Or getting another shot may if you want to go that way. Personally the shot is not my favorite long term contraceptive. IUDs or the implant is often a better choice, but your doctor can help you decide.

Best of luck!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply