Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

10 Months of Itchiness From an Insect Bite

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
Starting in March 2011 I have contracted a skin condition that has caused my skin to become extremely itchy. Because of this I have been scratching the infected areas to the point where my skin has become extremely dark. Starting from the right side of my stomach it has progressed to the lower part of my back and the side of my right thigh. Only thing I've managed to figure out is that the infection spreads according to where I scratch.

As for how it began...
This itchiness started when I woke up with what seemed like a bug bite. The bug/spider had made two flesh wounds just to the right of my belly button. Spaced about 1 centimeter apart (horizontally), the area around this bite wound was extremely itchy causing me to scratch it nonstop all day. The bite wound was not particularly large. Similar to the size of a sewing needle puncturing my skin. The bite wound would eventually turn into a scab and heal up just fine; with no evidence of there even been a bite wound. However the itchiness would remain. No matter how much anti-itch cream I put on it; it would still itch. So for this 10 month period of itchiness I would scratch the itchy area so much that my skin would turn extremely dark in comparison to the surrounding areas. Because of this summer was particularly embarrassing. Starting from the right side of my stomach, the itchiness would spread to the right side of my abdomen and now to the right side of my thigh (passing through my right buttcheek)and to my lower back. The area where the itchiness started is no longer itchy, but my lower back and my right thigh are still insanely itchy.

I thought that the condition would go away by now, but after 10 months and it still being here I am deeply concerned. So if anyone knows what might be going on in my body please let me know!

I can also post some pictures of this skin condition if anyone would like to see, or think it would help in determining the problem.

Many Thanks! Razz
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 11th, 2012
I might have sort of the same thing. During the summer the cat brought in fleas that multiplied like mad in the heat and the light and with a fresh pot of blood (me) to constantly feed on since I was home all day. My legs started itching like maad, and they still do months later. The spots on my shins are like raised, blotchy welts that are red no matter what I do, and they get especially irritated if I shave my legs. Lotion seems to help, I use Aveeno Eczema Therapy even though I'm kind of positive that it isn't eczema.
What helped was going swimming in a chlorinated pool for a few hours over a weekend in another city. That made the itch go away for about a month and a half. But now its back with a vengeance.
Hope you can find help!
|

replied January 11th, 2012
Hah I'll certainly try that out. I would love to escape this itchiness, even if it is only temporary.
|