Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

3 month test conclusive ?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Please can you tell me if there is any need to take a HIV test at 6 months after a very low risk if I have been given a negative at 3 months with a 4th generation p24 elisa HIV test. My Doctor said my negative, with this test is conclusive and its the best and most sensitive and modern test available in the world and theres no point in testing at 6 months.

He also said the only reason for people to maybe test at 6 months would be people who either have abnormally suppressed immune systems due to genetic defects or who have recently undergone intensive medical treatment that could comrpomise the immune system (cancer treatement, organ transplants, etc.). but 3 months is conclusive for anyone else with a modern HIV test such as a 4th generation.

Would you agree with what my Doctor said?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2009
HIV and AIDS Answer A6051

Testing after six months is recommended only for people who have weakened immune system (caused by disease or medication) and for people who were undergone an antiviral therapy which might have decreased the number of viruses in the blood to undetectable level and would need additional three months to reach the detectable level.
According to the data you provided, the three month HIV test for you is conclusive and there is no need to test at six months.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.