Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

2 month old with nasal congestion

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
I have a granddaughter who lives with me that is 2 months old and about a month ago she started having nasal congestion and diaarea. We were told to put nasal drops in here nose since there was no medicine for infants that young. It has been about a month and the diarrea is gone but the congestion is still a constant thing. She sounds clear sometimes and then she sound weezy at other times. But what concerns me is that on 4 occasions that I know of she has had something in her throat either formula or something and she either can't or won't breath through her nose and she turns red in the face and it seems like she is struggling to breath. I am concerned and terrified that she will do this at night. Does she have allergys because i do have cats and she lays in place where they have layed like the couch or bed. She does not have any unusual mucus coming from her nose. She does spit up thick slightly yellow formula somethings.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile hunters_momma
|

replied April 1st, 2009
Experienced User
it could be shes alergic to ur animals..but i cnt say for sure..i think u should take her to the doctors again and tell them you want a second opinion. the weezing, could be asthma? id go doctors to see xx
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2009
to jharris
Hi! My son had the same problem as your granddaughter does now. My son is almost 2 years old. Ever since he was born he has been congested and breathing out of his mouth alot (more when he was younger). We kept taking him to his pediatrician numerous times and he told us to keep using nasal drops and an asperator to suck any mucus he has out of his nose. Nasal drops DID NOT work for my son. We just now got him on Clariton since he was so young before that he couldn't have any allergy meds. But let me assure you of one thing so you won't worry too much, her breathing through her nose is perfectly fine (altho we all want our children to breathe through their nose). My son's pediatrician said that when a child isn't breathing through their nose, they breathe through their mouth it's an automatic reflex. That was my concern also when we took our son to the doctor and he's a WONDERFUL doctor, that's what he told us and said that since we have cats (like you do) that he is probably allergic and prescribed him some allergy meds. And as for the spitting up, it has nothing to do with your granddaughter being congested, obviously she cannot tolerate the formula she's on. My son had this problem as well when he was little. His pediatrician switched him over to soy milk to see if that would help but it didn't (some babies can tolerate it better than others, you may want to try that first) so he put him on another formula that worked WONDERS...very good...it's called Nutrimigen. Try different formulas and also talk with the her pediatrician about how to go a different route with the congestion problem! Hope I was of some help. Any other questions, feel free to ask! (My son has/had ALOT of problems so I'm sure I can try to answer any concerns you have.)
|

replied November 3rd, 2012
Just this morning, it the same problem that brought me online to see if I could get answers to the same problem of nasal congestion, which has made my daughter struggle to breath. My mind is at rest now.
|

replied November 11th, 2011
aalergies, chronic nasal congestion in two month old
all three of my children had and my smallest now has chronic nasal congestion, food allergies/environmental allergies and asthma. my youngest is two months old and his is worse than the other two. we are also having chronic ear/sinus infections with him, soon to see ENT because in just two months he's had three infections. anyways, this could be related to reflux. reflux can be a result of many things including an intolerance to formula, overfeeding or simply just a weak sphinctor muscle that will get stronger with age. reflux then can cause pain/crying fits, choking, and congestion. you can try to switch formulas and add a reflux med to minimize the acid production, though it won't fix it completely. although possible it is unlikely that she is having allergic reactions to the environment. the way our allergist explained it is that it takes about two years of exposure to environmental allergens for the body to react and build enough IgE to cause a reaction. although in rare cases it can happen. i would probably assume the formula and reflux are working hand in hand in causing the congestion. but only an allergy test can determine if the cats are the culprit or not. in the mean time, elevation, nasal drops, a cool mist humidifier all might help but that's as good as it gets. good luck. sorry for the pain your little grand daughter is going through.
|