Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

10 month old , eating until throwing up

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
User Profile
I have a 10 month old who will not stop eating until he throws up and then he wants more. He does not seam to know when he is full. what do I do? He has been like this since birth even with his formula he always act like he is starving he weights 20 1/2 lbs, so he is not too big but not at all like the rest of my kids. My 4 year old is only 25 1/2 lbs and my 13 tr old 75 lbs. I was only 89 lbs when I got pregnant we are a small family.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 15th, 2010
Infants Answer A15298
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the problems of overfeeding and spitting up in your 10 month old baby.
Overfeeding occurs when children are automatically fed as a response to crying, when they are given a bottle as a distraction or activity, or when they are allowed to keep a bottle with them at all times. Overfeeding also occurs when parents reward good behavior with food or expect children to finish their food even if they are not hungry. In the short term, overfeeding causes spitting up and diarrhea. In the long term, overfed children can become obese.
Spitting up can be reduced by feeding an infant before he gets very hungry, burping him every 4 to 5 minutes, placing him in an upright position during and after feeding, and making certain the bottle nipple lets out only a few drops with pressure or when the bottle is upside down. Spitting up that seems to cause an infant discomfort, interferes with feeding and growth, or persists into early childhood is called gastroesophageal reflux and may require medical attention. If the material that is spit up is green (indicating bile) or bloody or causes any coughing or choking, medical attention is needed.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infants , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.