Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

2 month old and colic

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
User Profile
my 2 mnth old little boy has bad colic and im always having to burp him, and walk around jiggling him, his tummy goes rock hard, even after we get it all up he might go to sleep and wake 5 mins later with the same prob, coz of this he dsnt get much tummy time, he lifts his head when his against you but the moment u put him down not much happens, his also just started smiling, everyone says his late to do it, does anyone have any advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2009
Community Volunteer
No, I think your baby is going at the normal pace for smiling. Many times the ones before that are muscle reflexes and they don't know they are doing it. For a baby to smile and know he is smiling takes more brain development than just a few weeks. Some babies are later than others as well: the normal age for a baby to reach a mile-stone is average, so this means that it is not bad if your baby is a little later than some. It always upsets me to find parents who have become concerned about their babies because their babies aren't exactly what the charts or their friends say they are supposed to be. There is a certain window, and your baby doesn't have to be "dead on in the center."

The colic is a very hard thing for you more than it is for the baby. There are a few things that you can try to alleviate the symptoms. Milk-based products or ones in your diet if you are breastfeeding are often the first cause. You try switching to a more gentle formula or one that is lactose free. Your pediatrician can help you choose which one is best since there are oh so many choices out there!

You can give him baby gas drops or gripe water. These are not the same and one might help more than the other. Different babies have different needs. I have seen moms rave about one and hate the other. Putting him on his tummy will help ease the gas pain, but putting him on your chest because it is warmer will soothe him better and help him relax with you.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply