eHealthPedia >

Mono Diagnosis

Mono Diagnosis
What is Mono?
Causes and Risk Factors

If you suspect that you might be experiencing mono, see a doctor for a diagnosis. Doctors and specialists in areas related to mononucleosis include ear, nose and throat specialists but the following health professionals can also diagnose and treat mono:

  • Family medicine doctor
  • Internist
  • Nurse practitioner
  • Pediatrician
  • Physician assistant

The clinical diagnosis of infectious mononucleosis is suggested on the basis of the symptoms. In order to make a mononucleosis (mono) diagnosis, a doctor will likely ask a number of questions about symptoms, medications, other medical problems, and family history of medical problems.

Medical exams
Usually, the doctor will also perform a physical exam. Because mono symptoms can be very similar to other illnesses, doctors often recommend tests to find out exactly what the problem is. Diagnostic tests used in the diagnosis of mononucleosis include:

Blood count - a complete blood count may show the white blood cell count to be high because of the infection.

Epstein-Barr virus specific antibody test - this testing may be used for people with suspected mononucleosis that has negative heterophile antibody test results. The EBV specific antibody test can also be used to test for atypical cases of mononucleosis or in young children who are suspected of having mononucleosis.

Heterophile antibody test - this test that measures a type of antibody that are present in about 80%-90% of people with mono. They form in response to infection with Epstein-Barr virus as well as in other infections.

Liver function tests - these tests can reveal elevation of liver enzyme levels in nearly 90% of people with mono.

Often there is more than one option for diagnosing or treating a condition. A health professional is an expert on medical care, but each person is their own body expert, so be alert to the signs that your body sends you . Choose a treatment option for mono that best fit your values, beliefs, and lifestyle. To learn more about how doctors treat mono, continue reading the next section on treatment for mono now.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>
Tags: mono, antibody test, pediatrician, medications, infections, infectious, diagnosis, infection, treatment, symptoms, atypical, liver, nose, ear, mononucleosis, blood test results, ask a professional, ask a physician, ask a questions, ask the doctor
Related Topics
Mono Prevented by another virus ?
darth_khan1984  1054 views
cinnyluvscats  1465 views
Mono relapse ?
sinneart  4718 views
mono incubation period ?
healthnerd  2894 views
Black Spots On the Mono
Pezhead37  8240 views
Contagious mononucleosis
dibby777  2451 views
GoNatrlAm  3766 views
Sick for months mono symptoms?
AuntShan  15412 views
Rash With Mono: Over a Month?
info22  11246 views
Herpes? Hiv? Mono? Strep?
drommy  682 views
Mono And Rx Drugs? Please Respond
Eirual513  1870 views
Recovering from mono
sicerik  4395 views
How long for Mono symptoms ?
skrgrl  5214 views
possible mono symptoms ?
AshleySophia  1553 views
Mono. Relapse And Allergy Shots
tara_lorai  2576 views
Life Cycle of Mono
mo72  8318 views
Mono confirmation ?
Soul_id  1584 views