Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Mono with Abnormally High Liver Enzymes

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
17 year old male

I got Tested positive with mono 2 weeks ago. I still have body aches and fatigue, swollen lymph nodes. Thats about it. I also did a blood test for liver functions and My ALT was at 900, normal range being 50. My doc said thats nothing to worry about since other tests were normal, its the mono causing this. Has anyone ever experienced this?

also i have bad joint aches is this cause of mono? how long will the lymphnodes be swollen? it seems to be not going away.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Art99
|

replied February 9th, 2011
Yes mono is known to be causing hepatitis. I also had elevated ALT but to 100. Your liver enzymes should return to normal levels in 1-4 months. Remember not to drink any alohol for one year after mono, also do not eat any fried food that might be hard on your liver. Mono may give you tons of strange symptoms and it takes long time to recover from it.
|

Can the liver be causing Heart burn , abdominal cramps, bloating and reflux? im having some weird symptoms, more like a stomach infection
|

Your liver is infected so it's normal that you have all those symptoms. Go to your doc and tell him to give you some pills for this bloating and reflux. Liver infection is very common with mono, that's why doctor told you not to worry.
|

replied February 15th, 2011
one more question its now been 20 days since i had mono and my lymph nodes are still enlarged, but no pain, they never ached or anything when will they go away?
|

replied May 19th, 2011
I was diagnosed on Monday and was told the same thing: high liver enzymes. The doctor didn't give me any more information besides that. This thread is really helping me: Apparently I cannot drink for a year? Is this true? Can someone tell me the consequences and what exactly that means?

I just started getting a sore throat yesterday... I'm hoping it doesn't turn out as badly as the ones I read about on the other threads.
|