Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Mono Twice! Do you have to be reinfected to get it again?

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
Can you get mono twice? Do you have to be reinfected to get it again? If I have had mono before, can I get it again from another person?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 15th, 2012
I know that it can become active again since it remains in your system for life. Not sure what can trigger it to become active again such as just coming in contact with someone elsewhere who has it.
|

replied April 19th, 2012
Mono cannot be "caught" twice. Mono is a viral infection that live in your body once you come in contact with it. You become a carrier, so be aware that you could possibly give mono to someone else. Some people only have mono for a short time (a month or less) while others have recurrent mono (mono effects them for several months to several years) It may seem like someone "gets" mono several time while in actuality, their body is battling the virus - sometimes the virus is stronger, sometimes the immune system is stronger. The virus "takes over" your immune system when it is in a weakened state - so things like an unhealthy diet, lack of sleep or extreme stress can make the immune system weaker, and then mono will take over again. That is why it is very important to support your immune system if you have mono so that you can stay healthy!
|
Tags: mono
Quick Reply