Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

mono relapse ?

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
I first got mono in late July, dignosed in early August. I reovered about a month later, but started gettin sick soon after going back to school. Since then, on and off I have experienced many of my mono symptoms, intensified. I have been extremely naseous, fatigued constantly, lost my appetite, had headaches , even gotten really bad chills and hot flashes, etc. And many times when I check my temperature, its fairly high, about 100.0
For the past few days I have gotten these symptoms pretty bad, I am sneezing and coughing also. I got sick right after something stressful happened.

So, I am wondering, is it normal to have mono symptoms for such a long time, and is it mono or something else? And could stress trigger me to get a relapse of mono again? Will I have mono forever?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 20th, 2009
The same thing keeps happening to me as well. As soon as i get stressed, or miss one night of sleep.. not even 2 days later i have all symptoms of mono again... and find myself off work for the nest week with a dr note. I also dont know how to treat this Sad
|

replied February 26th, 2009
mono
I was diagnosed in May 2006 with mono. I've been sick ever since then. I still am getting relapses of mono. If I dont get enough rest, or take it easy i tend to catch it again. I've been diagnosed 3 times in the past 3 years. I just don't see any need of going to the doctor everytime I get these relapses for them to tell me it's mono still. I feel extremely fatigue, sore throat, headaches, nausea/upset stomach, and fever that runs between 99-101. Ive been to many doctors, including Mayo Clinic, and apparently Mono is extremely tough to get over. ecspecially if you have a weak immune system like me. I can't keep a full-time job b/c I get sick once every 2 weeks or so. I've been substituting at schools; but I've found this is no good either because you are exposed to so many sicknesses. I remember when I was in school it was hard to explain to my parents that I wasn't faking just because I only got sick when I went back to school. Soon enough, they found out it was because I was being exposed to so much with sick people all over the school. There's no treatment for mono, you just have to REST & drink plenty of fluids, so you dont dehydrate. Also, it seems as if I get stressed out I tend to catch it again, not sure if stress is what really causes it to trigger again though. It says in various places that the EBV virus (which is where mono comes from) stays in you forever after you have it, but it is "very rare for people to experience mono or get relapses after the 1st time you catch it". which I do not agree with this because I know 3 other people who are going through the same thing I am. Various ages from 19-30. All I know is noone knows what to do with me or how to treat me. I can't stay at home in bed 3 or more days a week resting, I have to work! Good Luck though, hopefully it will disappear soon!
|

replied April 8th, 2009
relapses
I got mono in 2004 wjen i was 25 and have several times since where i have "relapses" normally after lots of stress and lack of sleep. when i feel it coming on- for me that means my armpits get really sore, sore throat and feel extra tired- I try to take super super big dosis of Vit C. I know there's lots of debate on value of vitamins and I know taking huge amounts of Vit C means it can't be absorbed in my body BUT somehow it really helps. In my non-doctor mind I think it like gives my immune system a shock and it resets or something (completely non-scientific explaination) anyway i normally will take about 8 of the 1,000mg vit c pills in morning and another 8-9 that night and I start feeling better most the time.
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2009
Experienced User
I agree with you reese02, as I had Mono when I was little, and throughout my life so far(I am 22 now), I have had what definitely seems like cases of Mono(sometimes with only a few of the symptoms though and not seriously sick every time either) probably 4 or 5 times again and am experiencing the symptoms once again right now. I think it's a definite possibility that extreme stress or anxiety can trigger the symptoms again.
|

replied August 6th, 2013
Mono relapse
I was diagnosed with mono in 2009. Since then, I have had 9 relapses, none of them doctor-diagnosed, but all with the exact same mono-like symptoms: debilitating fatigue, lack of appetite, some nausea, and feeling over-stimulated being around people. I read that getting a little exercise is good for people with mono; I'm not so convinced about that. I do notice that wheat/gluten, sugar, and greasy foods are not appetizing and/or make me very tired, but when that's the quickest thing to eat, many times I opt to eat those things. I notice I eventually have a relapse when I feel rundown or stressed and/or just too busy. Right now I've been sick for over two weeks now and wonder if I should go in to get blood work done. But I have a friend (she's 1Cool who was diagnosed with mono last year, then had an apparent relapse w/ the same mono-like symptoms this year, but the doctor didn't know what was wrong with her. I don't have health insurance and don't want to waste my money getting blood work done if its going to come up fine.
|

replied October 15th, 2013
mono relapse
i got diagnosed in college with mono. with a background in biology i still dont believe the doctors when they say relapses of mono are a myth. had a pretty extreme case, its been about 4 years now, ever since then i have not been the same, i feel like it flares up when i get tired, stressed, or my immune system is weak. i will get a sore throat, my lymph nodes swell up, i am fatigued and experience jaundice in my eyes. i definately think there is a lot unknown about the mono virus.
|

replied December 30th, 2013
I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with mono. Started to feel better last week, Even went to the gym on Thursday. On Friday I could tell I was starting to feel bad again. Started with being extremely tired all I wanted to do was sleep all day. Now it''s Monday I am completely sick all over again. Fever, sore throat, cough, body aches, swollen glands in my neck. I hate this feeling. I just want to go back to my regular life.
|