Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Mono long term effects ?

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
I had mono in 1994. It was not severe. I wasn't totally knocked out like a lot of other people get. In 2000 after starting a daily running habit, I started having problems with my legs --joint and muscle pain. I went to the doctor. He did various blood tests, but couldn't find anything. Also my muscles and joints didn't hurt when he was testing my flexibility or using pressure against my muscles. This problem has never gone away. It's just worse some days.

Earlier this year I got RSV, and that started a problem with the nerves in my legs. Random pain and tingling in my muscles and joints. I went to the doctor again. They didnt' find anything specific, so suggested it was a viral infection.

I would have forgotten that I had mono, except that I read through an old journal. It was just funny reading about the pain in my joints and muscles when I had mono in 1994. And the fact that I've been having ongoing pain in my joints and muscles since around 2000.

I was wondering if there might be a possible connection between the mono and the leg problems I'm having 14 years later.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 13th, 2009
HI
Hi, I'm not sure about the specific correlation between mono and joint pain, but I'll tell you my expereience with mono. I had a severe case of it in 1991. I was 17 years old, and was in bed for 3-4 months straight. Even after I got 'better' I still relapsed several times over the next 2 years, and I am certain that my immune system was permanantly damaged. I still get weak and tired very easily, and I'm 34 now. When I contracted mono, I also developed jaundice, hepetitis, respiratory fection, anemia, bronchitis, & enlarged spleen. I lost about 10 pounds. No appetite at all. The doctor told my parents that I was in the rare 'danger zone' of mono where I could actually die.. After it was winding down and I was starting to feel a bit better, the doctor told me I had developed something called Chronic Fatigue Syndrone, for which there is no cure. (Basically just means you get tired and run down a lot more than average person). For the most part, I am better now, though I developed TONS of allergies/sensitivites that I'd never had before after the mono went away. Some have subsided over the years, but many have not. I do have a lof of issues with joint and muscle pain in my neck and right shoulder/arm, ..I've been to plenty of docs and they don't know what is wrong with me.. I suppose it could be related...
|

replied October 30th, 2011
Long term effects of mononucleosis
I'm 34 and I contracted mono at the age of 20. Mine was as severe as yours. I almost died. To maintain my health I bought a juicer and I juice organic fruits/vegetables every day. I also jump on a trampoline. Sounds wierd but that particular exercise boosts your immune system and doesn't wear your body out. email me and I can give you more tips. So sorry you had to go through something this severe. It gets better though. -Jamie
|

replied October 20th, 2009
At 16 I developed a severe case of MONO.Took two months and not being able to eat causing a 20 lb weight loss.After recovering I found myself severly tired.At the age of 61 I found that I could no longer work and at 61 was diagnosed with CFS, Fibro., Psoriatic Arthritis (both skin and joints) which has caused my pelvic bones to fuse together and lower spine. Also have trigger fingers and this sucks. Everything hurts from head to toe and my entire body feels bruised from the Fibro. I cannot walk without crutch canes, need a lift chair and hospital bed and cannot even lift my legs to get on a scale. All vitals are like I am 20 but the pain I experience 24/7 is sometimes unbearable and the bummer is I cannot tolerate pain medication and am scared to death to try epidorals and IV meds. that may or may not work.I just was given a med. to try that I am tolerating but does not seem to be working.I will increase the dosage per the doctors instructions and see how that works.I also have nerve damage in my left arm and shoulder has the psoriatic Arthritis and needless to say I am on Disability and need help to do my housework. I contribute this to Mono and over exerting my body beyond what it was capable of. Just pray you don't turn out like me. Has been working on me since the age of 16 and now almost 64 and can do very little. Try not to get this Mono. I got it from someone in High School that used to drink my soda when I did not know it and her brother had it but not her. In the early 60's it was only known as the kissing disease and know to be gotten by soldiers. I did not kiss a soldier and my boyfriend at the time did not catch it from me nor did my friends or family. Stay well.
|

replied January 14th, 2012
Mono,fibro,thyroid,hoshimoto,cold sores,swollen lymph gland
I also had mono at a young age. I NOW at 50 and have had fibromialga for 20 years shorlty after the births of my sons.My thyroid is on its way out and I have hoshimotos desease {tumors on my thyroid}.Today and for the last two months I have been in bed with fibro I thought, but my lymph node on my right side is swollen to a large lime. for some reason it gets larger when I eat or drink.I cannot think or move.Ive suffered for years but it is much worse now. Maybe this is all connected to mono I think it is. It is to bad doctors cannot find the connections, i am certain mono and fibro are connected. Actually my father inlaw died for no apparent reason. Although he had fibro and mono in the past. He could hardly walk or communicate with others. Is there any help out there?
|

replied September 30th, 2013
Read the book It Starts With Food. I think you will find the answers to how to overcome Hoshimotos, thyroid, fibromyalgia, etc. in there. Smile
|

replied January 14th, 2012
Mono,fibro,thyroid,hoshimoto,cold sores,swollen lymph gland
I also had mono at a young age. I NOW at 50 and have had fibromialga for 20 years shorlty after the births of my sons.My thyroid is on its way out and I have hoshimotos desease {tumors on my thyroid}.Today and for the last two months I have been in bed with fibro I thought, but my lymph node on my right side is swollen to a large lime. for some reason it gets larger when I eat or drink.I cannot think or move.Ive suffered for years but it is much worse now. Maybe this is all connected to mono I think it is. It is to bad doctors cannot find the connections, i am certain mono and fibro are connected. Actually my father inlaw died for no apparent reason. Although he had fibro and mono in the past. He could hardly walk or communicate with others. Is there any help out there?
|

replied November 15th, 2010
Me too.
Hello Thank you for sharing. I had mono when I was 15 not a severe case of it. At 25 I got very weak. Dignosised with CFS. Chemical Sensitivity and Food alergies and chronic candida. To make a long story short. The candida caused the immune system to be over whelmed and lead to the allergies which lead to the CFS and muscle pain. I found a Naturopath who got me better with a yeast free diet probiotics and lots of emzymes.
15 years later I am getting sick again and also have tingling and strange joint pain. Its a never ending battle for me I always have to be on the diet, so I definatly think my immune system has been compromised.
Good Luck Find a Naturalpath Dr. Gaszi if you are in CT.
|

replied December 7th, 2011
Mono
I got mono when I was 17. It lasted a few months and consisted of fatigue and sweating. However, at 42 I have been suffering from constant fatigue for at least 15 years. I get chronic sinus infections 2 to 3 times a year. Right now I have had a persistent sinus infection for 3 months. I'm always tired and achy. I have to wonder if the mono has left my system weakened and prone to infections.
|

replied November 1st, 2012
I had mono when I was about 15. My tonsils were so swollen that when I spoke, no one could understand me because my tonsils were smashed up against one another and I had massive white spots all over. It is amazing that I didn't die in my sleep. I did snore horribly (I had never snored before) and as I said, when I tried to speak, it was completely incomprehensible so I started carrying a note pad during the 4 hours a day that I was actually awake. I slept probably between 18 and 20 hours a day. My tonsils finally went back down slightly but they were still abnormally large after mono. After mono, I had no sensitivity in my tonsils. They were also so scarred that I used to get food stuck in my tonsils when I ate, I began getting strep throat all the time, and I still snored. Eventually at age 19, I had to have a tonsillectomy which relieved all the problems that I had with my tonsils. I never felt like my energy level was the same after mono either. If I wanted to, I could still sleep 12+ hours a day. I am tired nearly all the time and if I don't get enough sleep, I will seriously become sick with a cold or flu or something. I have read that people who have had mono get over their symptoms with no long term effects but, I think that if they conducted a more intensive study then they would find that those conclusions are inaccurate. Good luck all.
|

replied November 1st, 2012
I had mono when I was about 15. My tonsils were so swollen that when I spoke, no one could understand me because my tonsils were smashed up against one another and I had massive white spots all over. It is amazing that I didn't die in my sleep. I did snore horribly (I had never snored before) and as I said, when I tried to speak, it was completely incomprehensible so I started carrying a note pad during the 4 hours a day that I was actually awake. I slept probably between 18 and 20 hours a day. My tonsils finally went back down slightly but they were still abnormally large after mono. After mono, I had no sensitivity in my tonsils. They were also so scarred that I used to get food stuck in my tonsils when I ate, I began getting strep throat all the time, and I still snored. Eventually at age 19, I had to have a tonsillectomy which relieved all the problems that I had with my tonsils. I never felt like my energy level was the same after mono either. If I wanted to, I could still sleep 12+ hours a day. I am tired nearly all the time and if I don't get enough sleep, I will seriously become sick with a cold or flu or something. I have read that people who have had mono get over their symptoms with no long term effects but, I think that if they conducted a more intensive study then they would find that those conclusions are inaccurate. Good luck all.
|

replied February 21st, 2013
MMJ Helps with conditions..
Medical MJ can help with the pain, and much, much more that you can find helpful for your conditions. I have, not going to a dr or buying all their pharmaceuticals now. Grow my own, don't need to contribute to anything illegal or greedy people related. Just want to treat my own, in my home. My family has several sever, different diseases and problems, MMJ has helped. My son's Chron's has gone into remission by eating it. My severe lower back pain, arthritis, cyatic right and left sides, severe depression, anxiety, and lathargic. My husband's Kidney Diseas- IGA-nephropothy. Which, thinking about this, he had MONO before he had his stroke, a couple years. He has never been the same since MONO either, he's allergic to pennicillian, codien, has Extreme Hyper-tension (when he was having his stroke his bp 269/196, he felt normal to himself except for his eyes, which he didn't have control over and were making him dizzy.) We're still trying to get his Disability, but they keep denying him, so now we're goin to the dr to get this checked into.. He's been working himself way to much and I'm afraid he'll just drop soon..
Anyway
|

replied May 22nd, 2013
I find these stories all interesting I had severe mono when I was 17 (1979) and almost died. My liver stopped working and I spent 2 weeks in the hospital and months recovering Also got strep, hepatitis jaundice and an enlarged spleen. I too have suffered from fibromyalgia symptoms for almost 20 years and it's gotten progressively worse. Fatigue as well but I push myself each and every day. Ive tried cymbalta which helped the pain immensely but my blood pressure skyrocketed which I do not normally have any problems. Have tried savella which I didn't like at all. Tried lyrica and no help just extreme tiredness I'm taking prednisone for a flare up right now and have a nerve block scheduled for next week to help with lower back and sciatica pain that goes to my right leg. I can't help but wonder too if the mono was the start of these problems!!!! I just want to feel better and lead a healthy active life!!! Hoping to get some relief!!!
|

replied August 13th, 2013
Hello. I've had Mononucleosis since I was 17ish. I am 22 now. I was bedridden for about two weeks, not as severe as some cases. I couldn't move at all without every part of my body crying out in agony. I must have contracted it from a bottle of soda or something. Being celibate and living out in the country, I couldn't have contracted it from kissing anybody.

Anyway, ever since I first contracted it, I would relapse back into some illness that seems similar to Mononucleosis, just not as severe. My legs, arms, mouth, everything would hurt for days. I am wondering if there is any medical proof that Mononucleosis does have after effects or did I contract something else from my first exposure? I've read many of these posts but none of them seems to be from a doctor or nobody has asked a doctor this particular question.
|