Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Mole on my shoulder

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
When I was 15 years old (ten years ago) a large mole on my shoulder started to itch one day, fell off, and bled a fair amount. I remember thinking, "What the heck?!" It has become a flat, reddish brown, flower shaped mark on my shoulder, slightly bigger than the original mole. I did go see a general practitioner a couple of years ago, who barely even looked at it. He then suggested we wait and see, since what with it being so flat it would be difficult to get a biopsy. He told me that if it changes or grows to come back...and then he shooed me out the door. My point is that ever since it fell off it has done nothing but change (although it hasn't grown). I no longer have medical insurance, so I was wondering if it would be worth the cost of going to see another doctor, possibly a dermatologist, when a GP didn't think it was anything to worry about.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2011
I generally recommend a biopsy of any pigmented lesions that have changed in size, shape, coloration, elevation, or in the contour of their borders. Additionally, the new onset of itching or bleeding is another potential symptom of melanoma.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.