Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

8 mm nodule found on chest CT

Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....
Hello,

I went to the ER on 12/13/09 for severe chest pain and palpitations. While there, they did a CT scan of the chest with contrast to rule out PE. No PE, but they did find an 8 mm nodule in the left lingula. In mid October of 2009, I went to the ER for what I thought at the time was appendicitis but it turned out to be kidney stones. They did a CT of the abdomen and pelvis without contrast that did not show the nodule. I do radiology transcription for a living and know that a CT abdomen and pelvis will show the lung bases. My question is, could it have been there but because of the noncontrast versus contrast issue, could it have been there before and just not showed up? They've recommended to have another CT scan in 3 to 6 months. I have been smoking since the age of 15 (48 now) and have extensive family history of lung cancer. Also recent history of 45 lbs of unintentional weight loss (within a 3-month period) and persistent cough. Thank you for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2010
You have essentially answered your own questions.

Stop smoking, right now; and obtain another CT scan of your chest (with IV contrast) in 3 to 6 months to reasssess this pulmonary nodule. If it is enlarging, or if other new nodules have arisen, then you will need to undergo a biopsy to obtain a diagnosis. If the nodule remaains stable on serial CT scans over a period of 2 or 3 years, then it is most likely to be a benign nodule.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lung Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.