Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Mitral Valve Prolapse with Severe Chest Pains

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
3 years ago I was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse with Regurg. Doctor also said that this condition and leaky valve was nothing to worry about. This was my family doctor, I complained to him that I was having chest pains, he sent me to a Cardiologist and I got an echo cardiogram with doppler, test confirmed the above. Since he said there is nothing I can do about it I have just lived my life the last 3 years not complaining to a doctor. I have pains all of the time, sometimes a few weeks go by and nothing, other times I get a few in a day and it stops, nothing has been consistent until now. All day yesterday I had pains, very sharp stabbing pains, my heart has been racing even when I am laying down, I cant sleep, Im sweating and Im having strange feelings in my arm and legs. This has continued into today, but today I am feeling faint, the pains are getting longer and stronger, they can happen every 10 seconds, every 10 minutes, but they happen at least every hour and are consistant. Im very scared that this is serious but I dont want to go to the Emergency Room if they are just going to turn me away and tell me the same thing the doctor said 3 yrs ago. I have a variety of heart conditions in my family on both sides, I am a 30 year old female, fairly healthy, bp is usually normal or a little low, my weight has always been perfect and I am active. Im afraid that there is something bigger going on and I have a problem. These pains are severe, Im scared, this cant be right to walk around like this!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2008
Doctor
Your symptoms are probably due to the heart condition you have already have.
Most patients only need reassurance. You may need another echo-cardiography to measure the degree of regurgitation. If regurgitation is severe and function of left ventricle desturbed you may need heart cateterisation.
People with mitral valve prolapse and symptoms of dysautonomia (palpitations, chest pain) may often benefit from beta-blockers (e.g., propranolol). Patients with prior stroke and/or atrial fibrillation may require blood thinners, such as aspirin or warfarin. Antibiotic prevention shoulkd be taken by patients with severe regurgitation.
Mitral valve prolapse associated with severe mitral regurgitation anf left ventricle failure can be treated with repair or surgical replacement of the mitral valve. Repair of the mitral valve is always preferable to replacement and should be performed by surgeons that are skilled in the procedure. Symptomatic patients, those with evidence of diminished left ventricular function or left ventricular dilatation need urgent attention.
You should consult some cardiologist about your condition.
|

replied January 10th, 2009
I am a Patient of Mitral valve prolapse
I am Glenn from the Philippines, 6 years ago when I was 14 I was rushed to the Hospital due to shortness of breath and fatigue. I can't breath freely and its hard for me to breath. I was diagnosed by a cardiologist and the diagnoses is that I have MVP and it was inborn. For me for that age I can't believe that I have MVP. I took echo cardiogram as a part of my diagnoses the Dr. gave me a medicine for me to drink everyday as a prevention and treatment and that medicine is "DILTIAZEM angiozem. And now that I'm 20 years old I still drink that medication, so far sometimes I feel chest pain specially in the evening and I sometimes suffer palpitation. I do take check every 3 months to my doctor. So still I don't know what will happen to me in the future. I wanna ask what can be my life expectancy?? I admit I'm afraid to die but I know all of us will go to that end.
|

replied June 1st, 2010
Any co-relation between CABG and MVT
I had undergone CABG in 2002 and this year in January, I have undergone Mitral Valve Transplpant(MVT). Dr's say this was caused due to Left Ventricle Failure (LVF)
Please inform if my two surgeries of CABG and MVT are related to each other. Or my heart condition post CABG is responsible for MVT
|

replied February 9th, 2011
I too was complaining about similar issues. The Cardiologist kept telling me my leaky valve was okay. However, 5 weeks ago, he did an Angiogram and when I awoke, I was scheduled for Mitral valve repair surgery. As to the dizziness, I had reached the point where I could not even tilt my head or even roll over in my bed without the world spinning. Since the surgery, that is gone. You may not be to that point but I would certainly ask the Cardiologist again for a more thorough evaluation.
|