Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Missing disc in lower back - lumbar

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hi:
I'm 18 years old. And last year I recently found out that I was born with 2 missing disc in my lower back. I just wanted to know is there anything I should be worried or careful about when I play sports? Because I play basketball and when I
jump it hurts sometimes especially if i jump repeatedly. And when I'm in pain I try streching but I don't fill anything and I don't get relief. What could I do to get some relief from my back pain? Plus I exercise 4 days a week.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 25th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
hi MB
i assume that the missing disks caused the vertebrae to fuse in that area. in order to see if there is any problem that might cause pain a study like an mri would be necessary. it sounds like there is sufficient stability in your spine so that sports are no problem. the missing disks may in time cause other disks to take on more of the load. maybe thats whats causing pain....pete
|

replied March 4th, 2010
i was actually born with one missing disk in my spine. i went to a doctor who specializes in it and they found out exactly which one i was missing etc. and told me that it will cause pain because the two around where it's missing rub together and cause inflammation. he put me on some anti-inflammatory pills and said to work on my posture and sleep with a pillow either under my knees if i sleep on my back or with one between my knees if i sleep on my side...avoid sleeping on your stomach. he also said to do pilates to strengthen my stomach muscles and help out in that area of my back as well as my posture. i usually have pain in that area of my back and that's normal from the inflammation.
my recommendation would be to see a doctor about it but he/she will probably tell you the same things i heard unless you have a different situation going on.
|

replied March 4th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi
did the dr tell you that in time the two vertebrae bones would join together and become one?
|

replied March 4th, 2010
no, he did not.
|

replied August 3rd, 2012
Does this mean the back pain will be less painful if they fuse together??? , as I also have 2 missing discs in the cocyx lower spine, I am in total agony, the doctor says he cant do anything for me, its giving me chronic siatic pain and down my leg also as well as knife pains in the lower spine
|

replied December 20th, 2012
Anyone know if have a missing disc and stabbing pains in thumbs, elbows, ankles and neck could mean something more? Or be tied in together somehow?
|

replied October 6th, 2013
im also missing my 5th lumbar verterbrae, but can feel a large boney thing in my upper arm, could this be my missing verterbrae?
|