Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Am I Pregnant Forum

2 missed periods & neg. test!

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I have been off birth control for over six months. I didn't like how I was feeling on it. I had irregular periods before i was having sex and on the pill 3 years ago. Now that I have been off the pill after almost 3 years on it... I have been irregular again. I occasionally skipped one month and had it the next month but mostly regular every month. But now I've skipped two months! I took a pregnancy test 2 times last month and they were negative. This month I skipped and I got another negative test. I've gained about 5lbs too and my husband and I haven't been exactly careful either. We used the diaphragm and condoms for a while but since we wouldn't mind having a baby we have just been using the pull out method. We aren't really trying to make a baby but we aren't using protection either. I have not really been stressed out or been worried about it. But I'm leaving for vacation to Mexico and if I am pregnant I want to be careful.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

The most common cause for a missed period is pregnancy.

The possible symptoms that are common in pregnancy include - Missed periods, Breast tenderness, Nausea in the early morning, Vaginal discharge from pinkish white to brownish, Spotting, Fatigue and Increased urge to urinate.

Other common causes for a missed or irregular cycles can be - Severe stress and anxiety, acute weight changes, eating disorders (Bulemia), Athletes (Rigorous exercise), conditions like ovarian cysts (with irregular cycles) and hypothyroidism.

Since you are using the pull out method, and not actually trying to conceive, the chances of pregnancy would be less than normal.

In your case, first and foremost you should get a blood test for HCG levels or a ultrasound of the abdomen. This will provide conclusive results if you are pregnant and also help to diagnose the probable cause of your irregular cycles or missed period.

In case the tests are negative, and you are not pregnant, you should consult with a OBGYN for evaluation of your menstrual cycles, so that proper treatment can provided.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Am I Pregnant , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.