Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Mild pain with a 2

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
User Profile
I have a milled pain with a small mass just below the bottom of my sternum plait in upper abdomen,What could this be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The painful lump described could be due to costochondritis.

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage connecting the ribs to the sternum (breast bone). It presents as a sharp pain in the affected cartilages, and may be associated with redness and swelling too.

Pain caused by costochondritis may mimic that of a heart attack or other heart conditions.

The proper diagnosis is usually done by clinical examination, and tests like X ray are needed just to rule out other causes like rib fractures.

Taking medications like Ibuprofen (Advil, motrin) can help in relieving the pain.

In case, they do not help, you may need treatment with prescription medications like antidepressents to control the pain.
|

replied March 19th, 2012
Experienced User
Dear Dr.deepak

I think also there is another possibility,maybe epigastric hernia.

regards
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.