Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cystic Fibrosis Forum

Mild Cystic Fibrosis

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
I've heard there are mild cases of CF. Are there the same gene mutation even in mild cases? Also how can cases be mild? What age do most people with mild CF live to?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper KeW23
|

User Profile
replied October 11th, 2009
There are mild cases of cystic fibrosis. A fairly good determinant of severity is the type of gene mutation that a person has. You must have two defective CFTR genes in order to have cystic fibrosis. The specific genes that are inherited have some bearing on the severity of the condition. For instance, the most common mutation in white people of European decent is called delta F508, and it is more likely to have a more severe course.

The life expectancy for the average person with cystic fibrosis is between 30 to 40 years old.

|

replied April 21st, 2012
I have mild CF and I'm 40
I have mild form of CF. I'm a 40 year old male. They discovered it because my wife and I weren't conceiving and they discovered bilateral absence of the vas deferens. From there a positive sweat test... and then a positive gene test. My mutations are DeltaF508 and 1178C>T. The cf doctors at Hopkins I saw said they'd never seen anyone in as good a shape as I am at my age and they didn't really know anything about the 1178 mutation. I see these posts are from 2009. Hopefully, someone checks it. :^)
|

replied April 27th, 2013
Mild form of cystic fibrosis
Hi my 7 year old son has a mild form of cf as well, very rare but my husband and I pushed and pushed to have him looked at cause he was always sick(it was like he had a cold all year round right from birth. He always had dark bags under his eyes and caught every bug that went around daycare and very quickly got sick) with much testing we have found out that he also has an ammone defincincy, but this defincincy doesn't come with the cf. Doctors say that he will have a problem when having children caused by this mild cf . This is all new to me but very scared when I google things. Otherwise he is a very active 7 year old u won't know it until u see him sick.
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cystic Fibrosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.