Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cerebral Palsy Forum

mild cp?

Is there such a thing as mild cp? My daughter was born having lots of difficulties at birth. The cord was wrapped around her neck and she was in a lot of stress during delivery. She had edema and a brainbleed. She started having seizures when she was only a few hours old. Her doctors said that the seizures were probably caused by the brainbleed. An MRI showed that there was some damage to the frontal part of the brain. They said that she could have learning disabilities and problems with speech. The PT who saw her at birth said that she was very floppy and had weak muscle tone. Her neurologist told us when she was 2 mo. old that there was a possibility that she could have CP. Well we didn't want to believe him because by all outward appearances, she was a "normal baby" and we really didn't want to admit that that could be a possibility. She did not sit up without support until she was 9 mo. of age. And she didn't walk until she was 15 mo. She started seeing a speech therapist when she was 2 1/2 years old. She is now 6 years old and is diagnosed with epilepsy. She didn't have anymore seizures after she was born until she was 2 1/2 and then they said that it was a fever seizure. But then last year on Memorial Day (what a day!) she had a really bad seizure where she convulsed on her right side. She has strabismus. And she is still in treatment for that. She's had 2 surgeries but her right eye still turns inward. She still can't pedal a bike. She still has to go to speech therapy for articulation problems. She is progressing fine in that but her therapist said that she still has trouble with sk blends. And sounds that have to be produced at the back of the throat and her muscle tone is weak there. She can now run but very awkwardly. She goes to her neurologist in April for another EEG and I will ask him about this when I see him.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
One of the reason for cerebral palsy is indeed a brain damage, and in your daughter's case the brain bleeding had caused that.
Her symptoms are suitable for this diagnosis.
Epilepsy, often, appears in children with cerebral palsy.
Although, children with CP are usually slow to reach developmental milestones, they can still have normal or even above average intelligence.
Their ability to express their intelligence may be limited by difficulties in communicating.
Because of this, is very important for CP child to get appropriate physical, occupational, and speech/swallowing therapy.

And the last, the answer to your question if there can be a mild case of CP, is yes.
Actually, CP can be in forms that are very mild and subtle to very profound.
This condition doesn't get worse over time.

Best wishes to you and your family!
Marija
|

replied July 20th, 2009
Hello,

Im Crystal, 19 years old.
I have very mild CP. If you met me you wouldn't have a clue that i had any type of disability.
Mine affects my left side, with it being slightly smaller and the muscles weaker.
The only times it affects me is when getting shoes as i have one foot smaller than the other and have a weak ankle so cant wear heels.
But apart from that i can run, walk and talk etc.

All the best!
|

replied July 20th, 2009
Hello!

I am 24 and have a mild/moderate case of cerebral palsy. Looking at me, I am very typical except for what appears to be a limp. I have a spastic diplegic form of CP which means that both my legs are effected. All in all, with correct surgery I have been able to walk and be typical! In fact, I am now a special education teacher.

All in all, yes CP is classified as mild, moderate, severe, or profound, and there is a few different forms. Also, I am not sure how old your daughter was, but I was not diagnosed until age 2.

Good luck!
|

replied September 10th, 2009
I'm 18 I've had Mild to moderate CP my whole life. There are things that make it better and worse. I have had a few sugeries to make my CP better over the years such as a Baclofen Pump.

Thos has helped me very much in the past from bring my moderate CP down to a Mild case. The Pump has worked for me but has broken twice and I have had to have it8 replaced other than thatit has served me well.
|

replied October 8th, 2009
Does Mild CP always show up on and MRI? My 18 month old daughter's doctors believe that she has mild cp, but her MRI just came back "normal". I am very confused and appointment with neurologist isn't for another month.
|

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2009
Julannna

Although one would suppose that CP should appear on an MRI as it is brain damage, that is not always the case. I have been living with Spastic Diplegia all my life and have had 3 MRI's, none of them indicated that there was damage. That beeing said, the neurologist needs to support his hypothesis.
|