Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Mild broad- based posterior disk bulge L 4 - 5 ?

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
What is mild broad- based posterior disk bulge L 4 - 5 small non compressive the inferior foraminal annular tear? and l5-sl mild bilateral facet joint space narrowing?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rollar64
|

replied April 7th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
a broad based posterior disk bulge is when a large portion of the circumference of the disk is bulging.

mild means the bulge does not extend very far beyond the two vertebra that the disk is between L4-L5 are the two bottom vertebra in your spine

non compresive means the nerves are not being compressed

an inferior foraminal annular tear is a tear in the tough outer case of the disc the foramina are grooves in the vertabra that the nerves couse out of. inferior means below.

l5-sl mild bilateral facet joint space narrowing?

L5-S1 is the bottom joint in your spine the carlige on the articulating sufaces of theses joints has narrowed indicating the begining of arthritic change.
|

replied April 7th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi shoshobeam....are you in pain.
|

replied April 29th, 2010
I have a similar question. I am in servere pain and have numbness in my leg. It used to only be the left but now has spread to both. My MRI report reads There is a straightening of the normal lumbar lordosis. There is mild annular disk bulge, L4-L5 without focal disk protrusion.
What does this mean? My Dr. says there is nothing wrong but the EKG I had says there is a breakdown someplace. Please help me to understand this report. Thank you.
|

replied April 29th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
some people who just have a mild disc bulge can still have bad pain. has the dr prescribed physical therapy? that may help return disc to its healthy state....pete
|

replied June 16th, 2011
Sir I have this Dx impression;

Broad Based Disc bulges at L 4-5 and L 5-S1 Abutting the thecal Sac with no spinal stenosis.

Lumbar curve convex to the left

lumbatization of S 1 with a Rudimentary Disc atl S 1-2; anatomic variant
|

replied June 16th, 2011

Broad Based Disc bulges at L 4-5 and L 5-S1 Abutting the thecal Sac with no spinal stenosis.

|

replied June 16th, 2011

|

replied June 16th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi Artin your two bottom discs are bulging and touching the thecal sac which is a tough membrane that surrounds the spinal cord.

you have scoliois which is a sideways bend in the spine

you also have a congenital abnormality at the bottom of your spine in that the top section of your sacrum (the wedge of bone the spine sits on) has some of the characteristics of a vertabra.
|

replied March 5th, 2012
mild bulge
Sir,
I Have Mild bulge at L4 L5 L5 S1 their is back pain mild tingling & swelling in legs what should be done Advice
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Rutesh,

It depends upon how badly the symptoms are bothering you.

You have to correlate the findings on the MRI with your history, symptoms, and physical exam.

If the findings correlate with the physical exam, and the symptoms bother you greatly enough, that you are willing to undergo a surgery, then an operation may be done to help with the numbness, tinlging, pain IN THE LEGS.

The back pain relief would be much are variable.

Usually, surgery is not done for MILD back pain, with findings of MILD disc bulges. This is treated with physical therapy.

You should speak with your spine surgeon for advice. He/she knows your case the best and is in the best position for advise you.

Good luck.
|

replied March 5th, 2012
Disc Bulge Relief
I had a disc bulge at L4-5 and L5-S1. Tried Physical Therapy and it damned near killed me. I had 3 shots in my lower back. Nothing helped. Night was the worst, I practically cried I had so much pain going down my right leg. Then they gave me prednisone which killed my stomach and I started to gain a ton of weight. My sister finally made me see her Chiropractor. I was scared to death to go. He did this distraction thing on my lower back then some electrical current on my back. 2 weeks later I was feeling 90% better. Find a Chiropractor that does the distraction technique. I told my doctor about it and he seemed clueless.
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2013
SarahStern101- 4 weeks ago I had a pinched nerve type pain that started out gradually. I took advil and it went away but every day at work it came back until I was in so much pain I had to stop work and I saw my doc. He said I had a slipped disc most likely and prescribed me pain meds and muscle relaxers. This exact thing happened in July too. Same pain, same area-- by my L5 disc but the pain would radiate all over and even in the front almost like mild labor pains along with the throbbing pain in my lower spine. In July I pretty much did my own physical therapy and 3 weeks later I was back to normal. I love working out and I am/was in great shape. I modified a lot of exercises however after this whole back issue. So now, 4 weeks ago the pain is back. I stopped working out, got the meds and tried the same thing as last time in July but I am not completely better. I am seeing a chiropractor too, he said he has a 90 day plan to get me better. NINETY DAYS!?!?!? So far I think it's helping but not a day goes by where I don't feel some pain. I am wondering when that will go away for good. I am trying to NOT take advil and I haven't used ice the past 4 days now. My x rays did not show a herniated disc according to him. My discs looked healthy according to him. He said my pelvis was tilted and I had scoliosis. But lots of women have that. So where is the pain coming from?? I assume my L5 is bulging from some exercise I did without having proper form, x rays can't determine that. Anyways...I am going nuts and I am suppose to start work next week and am not sure if I should. I do feel better and I can go for walks but after 30 minutes my back is done. My job requires me to be on my feet for 4 hours. I bend, lift and walk back and forth. What would you do? Sorry I wrote so much!!
|

replied March 7th, 2012
L4 and L5
hi there just got these results can someone explain this to me , I have alot of pain espically when I have to stand alot of sit for periods of time and the doctors are telling me that I shouldnt ,have that much pain,fighting with WSIB becuase I hurt my back at work..please help

L4-L5: degenerative change with mild broad-based disc bulging and slight
decrease in disc signal. No significant spinal stenosis. Foramina are patent
|

replied December 27th, 2012
Hello i just had a MRI and it says the impression was minimal broad-based disc bulge and posterior annular tear at l5-s1, without central spinal canal or neutral foraminal stenosis at any lumbar level. I am having pain in my lower back hip and down my leg can anyone help me make heads or tails of this, my doctor tells me there is no bulge not really sure if i believe him because the MRI results said different. Can anyone help me interpret the results?
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2013
Sounds like a mild bulge with sciatica. Is it your right leg? I have sciatica too and believe I have a bulge in disc L5. The sciatica went away once I started seeing a chiropractor. I even told him to crack my back. But I am still in the healing process so he does the electrical current massage on my lower back 3x a week and uses a hammer on my low back (he said this is more helpful than anything else when dealing with backs) --But the reason your back hurts is because there is still damage to that disc and it needs to heal. I would use ice, take ibuprofen to get the inflammation down. But don't lay around for days--make sure you get up and walk around occasionally to keep blood flowing to that area.
|

replied September 13th, 2013
I got hurt at work I just got my MRI back the FNP said I have to mild broad bulge discs L4-L5 and L5-S1 disc is protrusion the workers comp FNP wants me to go back to work but I can't I have numbness in my left leg along with sharp pains down my leg through my toes. Sharp pain in my buttox and back..She referred me to a neurosurgergy....What should I do??
|

I got hurt at work I just got my MRI back the FNP said I have to mild broad bulge discs L4-L5 and L5-S1 disc is protrusion the workers comp FNP wants me to go back to work but I can't I have numbness in my left leg along with sharp pains down my leg through my toes. Sharp pain in my buttox and back..She referred me to a neurosurgergy....What should I do??
|

|