Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pain Management Forum

Methadone and Hydrocodone Together?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
i have just started on methadone and being brought off of hydrocodone.

i'm on 5mg pills of methadone. 1 at am, 2 at lunch, 1 at bedtime. i'm given a 10/500 of hydro/apap per day for breakthrough.

my question is, is it safe to take the methadone and hydrocodone together? is there a limit to how much i can take of the two in a 24 hour period?

i am thinking i will not be able to stay on the methadone anyway, based on how i've felt since i started, but i can't find info on the two together and any limits or what have you.

thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper weivview
|

replied June 26th, 2008
just fine
Shouldn't be a problem. I assume the same doctor give you both drugs, or at least the pharmacist knows about it. I take hydrocodone and oxycodone together and it is no problemo...
|

User Profile
replied August 26th, 2008
Methadone + Hydrocodone
These two together shouldn't be a problem: I've been taking them in much higher doses for quite a while now. In fact, Methadone is used regularly by pain management doctors as a "booster" for other pain killers in your regimen and helps your baseline drugs to be more effective.

Currently, I take 100mg of Methadone a day (2 x 10mg x 5 times daily) along with 240mg of Oxycontin (80mg x 3 times daily) for my baseline pain and Norco for breakthrough pain, and I have no problems whatsoever.

If you need any additional information, don't hesitate to ask.

As Always,
VintageDon
|
Quick Reply