Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

Meth for ADHD? (Page 1)

Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
User Profile
Hey everyone. I really need some insight on this problem. My hubby has been diagnosed with ADHD. He never has had insurance for any length of time to see a psych to be put on medication. During a stint in juvenile they gave him adderal which he says helped but kept him awake at night. After that he never tried medication or talked to anyone.

Hes now 21 and still has many problems remembering things and focusing. I usually have to remind him because he is doing too many things at once. This is the Daniel I met and fell in love with. But hes not happy and says hes having more and more trouble.

my problem is that that he recently revealed that he has been experimenting with meth to relieve his ADHD. i dont agree with this because its so dangerous and illegal. but he says that he cant take it anymore and if I could please help him find some ridilin or medication to help him.

what should i do about this? i dont know where to begin to help him. Im scared of his involvement with meth....

????
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Keiki
|

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
can someone please move this to the ADHD forum?

i must have opened someone elses post that was moved here. thanks
|

User Profile
replied December 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
thank you
|

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
well no suggestions huh? im still fighting this battle. But from my observations it seems that my hubby is just using the meth as an accuse to use so he can feel better about getting high.

but i know that he has sooo much trouble focusing and doing daily tasks....i dont know

maybe someone will reply
|

I know exactly what you need to do.... and I'm dead serious on this one. There are times in my life when I know exactly what to do (for whatever reason) and this is one of them.

Tell him he needs to stop immediately or you will LEAVE HIM. The absolute LAST thing that will make his ADHD better is meth. Lets say(and this is very far out) that meth makes his ADHD calm down. In the process of calming his ADHD, he is KILLING HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH YOU one step at a time. I live in Los Angeles now, I have seen meth absolutely destroy peoples lives. It is highly addictive, and will not only ruin him.. but it will ruin your relationship. There are other alternatives. If he MUST do a drug of any sort (and if I were you I would MAKE him steer away from meth or pick up my $*!T and LEAVE.... easier said than done but I'll say it again- pick up my $*!T and LEAVE...) perhaps marajuana will help him to relax. I can absolutely assure you that this so-called solution to the problem is more of a problem than a solution. You have to call the shots. Do not allow him to make you feel bad about being in control of your own life because you deserve to be in a relationship that makes you feel good. Absolutely not. Put your foot down. You are uncomfortable with the situation or you wouldn't be writing this blog. Give him an altamatum. Any man that chooses meth over a woman is not worth her time. Is it dramatic? NO. I used to be a sissy girl. I got hurt, stepped on, used, etc etc etc. I didn't want to be "mean." You will not be "mean" if you go about it in the right way. Making fun of him, calling him names... staying in the relationship unhappily... is mean. Telling him exactly how it is and what you want, and standing your ground... is smart. Do NOT allow this to continue... you will absolutely regret it.
|

Ps. The guy that made me wise up had the name of Daniel..... watch out for those ones. Trust your instinct. Stop ignoring it.
|

Ppss. I am now in a relationship with a drug-free man who treats me like a queen. Not only that, but he is absolutely happy... and I never request a thing from him.
|

Pppss: If he revealed he has been smoking "a little here and there" to you, chances are he is in deeper than you know. He will never admit it. Just know it.
|

Ppppppsssss... I swear I'm almost done- You don't have to be mean about it. Be calm. He didn't do anything wrong and is entitled to do whatever he wants with is life. Tell him if meth is what he wants to do, that is ok with you. He needs to live his life. However, just as important as it is for him to live life the way he wants.. it is important for you to live life the way you want. Therefore, you have to leave if he wants to continue with meth. It's ok with you, but you are leaving. Then you must follow through with your words.
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
thanks so much for your reply. I actually had "the talk|" with him. I was at my mother in laws for the weekend. When I came home he had moved out.

Yep he packed his entire life and left me. He seems to be happier at a tweeker house than with his family. |It was devastating. But he said he would never stop and that I would have to love him for him. He also cheasted on me and said he wishes I wouldnt havebeen the woman to have his son.

So much pain. I cannot beleive it still. So im freeof him and free of the drugs. Im happy to come home now to a safe place. But im heartbroken. Ive loved this man for 6 yrs and had a child from him. It was supposed to be forever.

Oh well. I know I deserve better.
|

replied August 12th, 2009
rosie im glad annes advice helpd u out i dont know her but from read ur story n her advice i think id be able to ask her anything i hope the two of u r friends on here
|

replied September 24th, 2009
seem like everything's pretty too late right now but if its wayy before you guys breaking up. I would tell you have him to go to state health dept to tell them how ADHD would disabiling him and they should put him on disability benefit til he get it straighten up with meds.
|

replied January 24th, 2010
if the adderall kept him up at night, meth will have him awake for days.

meth is extremely addictive, not to mention dangerous.

if he's intent on self-medicating, encourage him to find someone who can sell him adderall or ritalin or something. at this point, even cocaine would be better than meth!
|

replied March 12th, 2010
Yes
Meth WILL help with ADD or ADHD however there are FAR more negative affects than positive when using meth. Just go to a doctor, and get him some Adderal.
|

replied April 4th, 2010
Here is a quick copy/paste from Wikipedia:
Methamphetamine (pronounced /ˌmɛθæmˈfɛtəmiːn/ listen) also known as metamfetamine (INN), dextromethamphetamine, methylamphetamine, N-methylamphetamine, and desoxyephedrine) is a psychoactive stimulant drug. It increases alertness and energy, and in high doses, can induce euphoria, enhance self-esteem, and increase sexual pleasure.[2][3] Methamphetamine has high potential for abuse, activating the psychological reward system by increasing levels of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin in the brain. Methamphetamine is FDA approved in the United States for the treatment of ADHD and exogenous obesity, under the trademark name Desoxyn.

Anyways, they are very much alike and affect the brains pleasures centers so him liking and enjoying it is a common reaction, we are human and they don''t call it addiction for nothing. People can become dependent on much less, Even prescription ADD/ADHD meds are often habit forming.

I must say that meth is more costly than a psychytrist, not including the cost of drugs and chance for ripoff, he coul face jail, prison, Felony X Charges in some states. So I suggest he make an appointment with a psych. I would suggest he be honest with the doc or you accompany him to ensure all facts are provoded as they are not mind readers. Him admitting he is using illegal substances i.e. meth will probably not get him Adderall or anything close. Unfortunately with lawsuits against Dr.s and the strict FDA guidlines it is easier to find a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than for an individual to get the meds they need.
With all this said you seem to have a clear undrugged mind and should decide what you think is best for him and if he will abuse Adderall or maybe both because at this point the chances are high he will be happy for a little bit then drug seek more to keep that first few times going. Keep a careful eye on him, if he is awake for long periods of time he is abusing, if he talks fast but make no sense he is abusing, there are many signs I am sure you have observed. Be careful, fortunately, amphetimines in my opinion are easier (symptom wise to quit than benzodiazapines and pain killers) he may be sleepy, but just tell him to take a nap.
|

replied October 6th, 2011
Enlighten the the lost souls.
this is just insane jeez METH is a free reward medication meaning it makes you feel perfect and nothing will be that way after except meth. You lost your family because you put your foot down on him. it does seem logical but the thing is with drug user that they have a stimulation built up they want a new perfect time they'll try again and again to reach it even if it ruins lives its just in the way of "true" happiness and relief. With that being said it sounds like there is no hope once your in but there is. marijuana is a great recommondation to be honest it changes your perception, it enlightens you. Because of its reverse tolerance though it feels less and less effective if used repeatly without breaks. All in all it can effectively steer him away from Meth. What a lot of people don't understand is how to help someone change even if they don't want to; instead they run and act like they can't deal with it.
You can't punish them, you can't yell at them, you can't call them names, or seem offensive in anyway to do this however; because they see it as oh well my meth can shut you up, even if they did not mean it deep down.
here is my theory on how to show someone how to change even when addicted to the hardest of drug addictions.
0- confrontation.

1- be nice and friendly.

2- no gifts, or spoiling.

3- save travel money

4- get addicted user to go places (use marijuana if needed now, restrict timely, but go all out when you use it [vape/food works best])
(non stressfull. a bar, a park, a concert, just drive around town, seminars, art exhibits, movies any kind of enjoyment) gradually add more things

5- confront about a long spiritual vacation he can only go on if he leaves meth no questions (say you will be there[change the way you approach if need])

6- MOVE. or rent a cabin or nice hotel, or go tenting.
go somewhere you'll NEVER forget and for a whole month or two.

7- if you get him/her to go then TEACH but don't force knowledge. I strongly recommend going to a Buddhist temple and teaching the 4 Noble truths and the 8fold path to Enlightenment. then meditate (marijuana helps here)

8- once released form suffering,and the vision of enlightenment (nirvana) come clear seek ways to improve life in all aspects.

9- go Home, user could need job change, redecorating, more education, art. whatever it is. Look in to ADHD medications (concerta! non addicitive version) if desired because ADD and ADHD cause mental fatigue which can make habits reoccur if stressed this is why he can't stop. He Needs Change to change. I'm not trying to promote the use of cannabis I just know from personal experience it opens you up makes you feel young and curious. The Ultimate Key is to be the addiction to be better than any drug he can imagine. seems insane but it will work if he loves you, your life, your love enough.
|

User Profile
replied October 19th, 2011
Adderall keeps me awake, as well. My doctor prescribed me Clonidine, a low blood pressure med to take before bed and help me relax. He gradually increased my dose to .3mg and it helped immensely. As long as I allowed myself to lay down and relax, the low bp med would help calm my body and ease my overactive brain and I would drift off to sleep. (I use past tense having to stop during my current pregnancy.)
|

replied November 19th, 2011
FYI If he really has ADHD he won't experience the euphoric high of meth. Just the staying up for days part. Even that is voluntary. I know this because I have ADHD and am a former meth user. Only after I had become extremely addicted to meth and used extremely high doses of meth did I finally experience the euphoria that a non adhd user would have felt the very first time with a minuscule hit. Thankfully I was able to stop using though. Drugs are a waste for everyone, but if you are afflicted with ADHD then meth is especially a waste for you if you are looking for a high.
|

replied November 27th, 2011
Wow.... reading this kind of broke my heart.

Meth IS a legitimate prescription medication available under the trade name 'Desoxyn'.

This woman could have taken the man to the doctor to own up and get put on a more conservative stimulant regiment, and to be referred to an outpatient support group to help with his history of self medicating. He could have been fine and their relationship may have worked out.

but nope, some whackjob conservative females who think all these drugs are uber evil and scary had to come in and ruin it for them with misinformation.
|

replied February 5th, 2012
Hi All,
ADHD/ADD/OCD are not any disorders are they are people who are not busy with outtside world,they have own soul,passion in doing things,get day dreams and this is different from what the world asks,like concentrate and acquire knowledge and stuff like that,One having this need s to do what he likes to do,actually he has become ADDHD/ADD/OCD because he is trying to follow what the world expects from him and he is failing,so one needs to what they like and what they love.

Mail me for information
i have OCD,i am from Bangalore.

regards,
|
12 >>