Medical Questions > Nutrition > Diet Pills Forum

Metformin for weight loss ??? (Page 1)

User Profile
My doctor prescribed this to me for weight loss. It is designed to lower cholesterol and for diabetics. I am not diabetic, but am 100 lbs overweight and definitely at risk. I am starting out by writing down what I eat and taking 1 500mg pill 2x a day after lunch and dinner....also trying to drink w alrge glass of water with every meal ...I was wondering if anyone else has tried this for weight loss. Im just starting out.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2009
Metformin
You are correct, Metformin is generally prescribed for diabetes and blood glucose control. I personally have never heard of its use off label as a weight loss control drug.
With these types of drugs you run the risk of harmful/unwanted side effects such as: headaches, abdominal pain, indigestion, weakness, gas, nausea, diarrhea, and others.
It's suggested to try safer, more natural approaches to health conditions first. As far was weight loss, diet and exercise are the best safest and most effective forms of weight control. I refer you to a previously posted answer to a somewhat similar question here: http://ehealthforum.com/health/weight-gain -while-injured-t182234.html

Good luck, hope this helps.

Antonio Marotta, D.C.
marottahealthandwellness.com
|

replied November 2nd, 2012
Hello Lilypad, im new here as i have been doing some research on metformin as my doctor asked me if i wanted it after having blood tests amongst all being ok my (glucose was 4.0 range is (on fasting 3.0-5.4) but my Insulin is 13 (range is 0 to 10) so yes slightly high insulin resistance a naturopath suggest to get the level down to 5 even 3!!!!! so the "standard tests are a large range also as with thyroid range my doc didn't say it was under active just basically dismissed any problem there because i was within the range at 4.46 (range 0.35- 5.50)naturopath said its considered anything above 2 is underactive thyroid, so there u go we must do a lot of our own research ask questions and take control of our own health it can get confusing and i just resonated with yr original question as it was exactly what happened to me i am on 500 @ 2 a day started 4 days ago but unfortunately 8 days ago i started a tonic herbal to detox which does send you to the loo Smile i have had the abdominal pain and diarrhea and last night a headache came on so sudden it really scarred me. So given that i was on the tonic i would say that caused the symptoms not too sure about the headache though as i read some of the side effect of Metformin it does have me a tad concerned as part of the bloods showed slightly high creatnine @.91 (40-85 range) which could be serious......Ahhh the joy of working it all out we are all so individual so it is a process of trial and error to find what our body responds best .Of course all the good eating and exercise go without saying. Ps im also in perimenopause so the body is hell bent on making fat for estrogen production! lol I am 14 kilo overweight i mainly eat fish and salad no breads if i want i will have the occasional pizza! not too often though hey gotta enjoy life . I wish you all the best on your journey (ps after 3 months of kilo up kilo down i now appear to be going down! Metformin or the tonic? id say the tonic since i was on that the longest and on the loo but i feel good with all that release also the fat content on scales down 1% ! cheers Smile
|

replied November 3rd, 2012
PS @ Lilypad ...i am not a diabetic i forgot to mention that Smile
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2009
Experienced User
you gotta just luv a caring doctor
that doctor outta be ashamed of him self, the long term harm that could do to ones health theres got to be a better way.There is! Alkalizing, water in water out & pure unprocessed natural salt go do research & study what you find & make these a part of your life. Then you won't have the medical expences because you will have turned your health around. Im always here for more help if you want!
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2009
re: you gotta just luv a caring doctor
Unfortunately, I do not understand your comment. There are absolutely no harmful side effects (short term or long term) to low glycemic index eating (unlike atkins or other "diets"). A low glycemic index lifestyle is basically what any nutritionist will tell you that you should be eating. It's about portion control (eating a normal portion instead of supersize portions), proper food choices, and food education. That is why it is NOT a diet, and has permanent results.
I am all for alkalizing your system, and that is accomplished through this lifestyle due to the adequate amounts of fruits and vegetables and decrease in "junk".
I find no shame in showing people the light and saving their lives. There is no "magic bullet" when it comes to health. As far as the energy you put into your body, it must be foods we are designed to use (not processed, dead foods).

Antonio Marotta, D.C.
marottahealthandwellness.com
Clifton Park Chiropractor
|

replied September 27th, 2012
There is no harm to Atkins.
|

replied January 29th, 2013
What is it with people contradicting a Dr who is clearly thinking of the health benefits. Atkins is renowned having short term success but no sustainability. It increases chances of diabetes, kidney and liver failure and not to mention the long term effect on the heart and cholesterol from the high fat content. Oh and it makes your break stink! I think some people try to kid themselves that faddy diets are the way to go! I'm not a Dr, I just have half a brain!
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2009
metformin
i have been taking this medicine for three months now and yes doc i am experiencing the side effects you mentioned in your first reply message, can you tell me what will happen to the patient especially to me since these side effects persist?
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2009
Generally speaking... most often times people continue with the medications and end up taking more medications to help with the various side-effects (sometimes not knowing these symptoms are caused by a medication). It's suggested to speak with the prescribing doctor and see if they recommend any alternative medications.
If you are seeking alternatives to medications or surgery you may find it of assistance to contact a naturopathic doctor or a doctor of chiropractic.

|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2009
Experienced User
Portion size fad
explain how on a alkalizing diet i ate as much healthy alkalizing food with some non alkalizing foods & still managed to loose 10 kgs ( approx 22-25 pounds) without any other exercise than house duties. I've had metformin & it does cause dysfunctional issues such has been the case with myself Because it only treats the symptoms not the underlying cause & inbalance It just takes a long time & most people are missled by believing that it is not related. Treating the nutritional deficiencies will heal people not pumping up greedy peoples budgets. It seems obvious that you are only interested in advertising your web site is that acceptable on this site, or do you pay for that right, i don't think that is ethical, & i question your genuineness!Antinio.
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2009
Ok, maybe you are not understanding me. We have been in AGREEMENT since the beginning. Maybe you may want to read my replies again. I am not promoting any medications, rather saying that natural alternatives should be tried first. As far as portion control... that's my expert opinion as based on research and my own clinical experience. The low glycemic index is not solely portion control as it allows you to eat any portion you would like (for the most part)... AND most of the foods ARE alkalizing (fruits and vegetables)... so I do not understand your disagreement with my replies.
Also, since I do not sell anything on my website I do not see how I am "advertising". I strictly post it because it has a lot of useful information on there for health and wellness.
Let me pose this question to anyone out there... does it sound healthy to NOT exercise regularly? Is it not good for cardiovascular and neuromuscular health to exercise regularly?
Losing weight by eating alkalizing foods is something I PROMOTE to my patients because I know the benefits of it. You lose weight because your body is better able to rid itself of toxins (your body surrounds toxins in fat so that it does not harm your system, this is why "diets" do not work because you will lose fat but the toxins end up being concentrated. Your body must then protect itself again by storing more fat around the toxins).
This being said alkalizing your system is great (because your optimal pH is slightly alkaline - 7.4, and it is difficult for bacteria, parasites, infections, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis and inflammation to survive in that environment), but as I stated earlier it is NOT a magic bullet for everyone or for all conditions. The facts are that everyone is different and their problems (weight especially) are due to different reasons. In many cases if you are not having success with a health concern then you should seek the advice of an EXPERT.

|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
The best diet you can have is portions and healthy eating, so you can still eat a cookie from time to time but only one.

when you make pasta put alot of vegetable in it, make dip and cut up lots of veggies, eating healthy is a lifestyle. This is something you have to want but being overwight seriously puts you at high risk for diabetes and other problems.

Oh btw doc I agree completely on excersing regularly, even a 30 mins walk 3 times a week or rollerblading it really does the body good.

From eating portions and regular excersice, I have lost 50+ lbs, didn't need no diet, just time and motivation!
|

replied May 16th, 2009
Hi)

Have you had your blood glucose test done?what are your values?
If you are overweight,yes,you are at risk but you need your blood glucose to be checked anyway to make sure you are not diabetic now or what stage you are before it.This analysis will give the idea of what types of foods you can or can't eat at all.
Bananas,raisins,melons and other high carb foods are not recommended for diabetics or peopel with increased blood glucose.

You do not need ANY pills to lose weight successfully.Do not waste your money and health,do it the natural way-eating healthily and a bit of exercise.
You need a balanced nutritional programme that will provide you with the right ratio of carbs/protein/fat and help you lose weght.It should also be something that you can do for the rest of your life if you want a long-term result.

|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2009
Experienced User
I wish people would do some home work
Hey antonio, First go read your posts & you will see you don't agree with me because you are contradicting your self on the one page! i don't contradict myself.
Would every body else do there health a favour & study alkalizing & while your at it go to the following educational site; 'link removed' & learn about the importance of balancing minerals. I don't have any affiliation with this site other than it saved my health from getting worse from other medical interferances!

GOD BLESS!
|

replied July 16th, 2009
metformin for weight loss?
For what it's worth, I've stumbled on this discussion looking for research about using metformin for weight loss. To give to a friend, to take to her doctors appointment tomorrow, to justify her request for a metformin prescription. I'm using it for prediabetes ... but my gynecologist recommended it to me a while back, saying she & her patients had found it helpful for weight loss. And that there's some research supporting this. My experience is of finding weight loss easier than before ... and NO side effects. As recommended, I started with a low dose every other day, went to daily, now twice daily. Especially if you're quite overweight, your doctor may be trying to be helpful! Marjorie
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2009
Experienced User
i had it for pre diabetes as well & it left me in a deeper hole than when i started. i now don't have a pre diabetes state due to the lifestyle change of adapting an alkalizing status in my nutrition, nor do i have the chronic asthma that i had for 40 odd yrs, nor the nasal polyps that the doctors told me could only be got rid of by surgery,nor the muscle cramps & spasms associated with MS, my blood pressure went from 150/80 to 122/64. which helped me? the alkalizing nutrition!
|

replied December 16th, 2010
Pill interaction
I´ve taken Max out body for weight loss and I am now on Metformin. What would the interaction be if I continue with the Max Out Body. This product is awesome for energy.
|

replied December 27th, 2010
hello,
i was searching for diet pills to lose my weight naturally, i found the pills which are made natural ingredient that are safe to use as i am using it.
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
In most of the studies of metformin before it was approved, people on metformin lost weight (1.4 to 8.4 pounds on average). However, the people in these studies who were not taking metformin also lost weight. The difference between the groups was not significant, meaning that there was no statistical difference between the two groups. In these studies, people were taking metformin to treat type 2 diabetes. It is not known if metformin has any effect on weight in people who do not have diabetes.
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
never shared or been on this b4 , but heres my view
i took this last year as i weight loss pill, in 6 months i lost 4 stone , it does help, if you eat the right foods while taking the pill, i took the pill while on weight watchers. it works if you eat rubbish food you will body will feel rubbish, the hospital gave it to me ..
|

replied July 23rd, 2012
Hi Dr Antonio, I am so sorry that timesisshort is not able to understand what you write. Indeed, you were in basic agreement and what you said was not only correct but of value. Perhaps timeishort should learn to read first before posting on such forums?
|

replied August 11th, 2012
Yeah...sure Metformin helps you lose weight - mainly because while you are on it you have diarrhea and spend half your day on the toilet.

Sorry, but it's the truth. And I'm talking explosive uncomfortable almost cartoon-like diarrhea...

Believe me...when you have to deal with this side effect, the last thing you want to do is eat.

So yeah....I guess Metformin will help you lose some weight on the scale....but it will be mostly water weight and unhealthy weight loss.

I've turned my Diabetes around with a change in diet and some exercise. Forget the metformin...all it did was cause me pain and discomfort.

The problem is most people want to literally "have their cake and eat it too"...and of course, even harmful garbage foods are "okay in moderation".

Sorry but this is a crock. If you want to reverse your symptoms of Diabetes you MUST get off of the CARB-centric American diet that demonizes FAT.

You need to lower your carb intake and start eating some healthy fats, like coconut oil....

Too much BS and low-fat this and balanced that.

All this nonsense has created a nation of obesity and diabetes...our grandparents and great-grandparents didn't suffer from all these problems. WHY?

Because they ate REAL whole foods. Natural foods, not those made in a laboratory and loaded with SUGAR to make it taste good because all the fat has been taken out because of our idiotic FATphobia.

People act like just because you eat some fat that it makes you fat. Nonsense...if you eat good fats your body breaks them down and uses them for energy and to keep you healthy.

These fats also satiate you....ie they fill you up so you don't feel hungry every 90 minutes like you do when you eat a BS diet of empty carbs.

A diet like this also keeps blood sugar levels steady, without the spikes provided by the carbs we are told to eat in the idiotic Food Pyramid propoganda the government hands out.

Americans eat almost 5X as much sugar as they did 40 years ago...and that stuff is in everything...even many of the foods you consider "healthy".

WHY? Because everyone has been made to FEAR fat...but the only way to make their food taste GOOD and keep it "low-fat" is to put more sugar in it....

Whoops....this whole diabetes and obesity epidemic started right after the "low-fat" movement started in this country. For years we demonized healthy foods like coconut oil and eggs...along with countless others...

WHY? Because they were high in FAT...and as we know eating fat must make you fat....NOPE.
|

replied August 27th, 2012
I have PCOS and hypothyroidism and my doc just prescribed me metformin for treatment of PCOS as well as weight loss. I have a very physical job, exercise twice a week for 4 hrs and eat well for a twenty one year old yet have gained ten lbs a year starting from age 16. I'm nervous to hear all of these side effects but at this stage in my life I want to be healthy and my body simply won't change on its own no matter what I do. Aside from the above poster has anyone had a negative experience on metformin??
|
12 >>
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diet Pills , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.