Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

Metatarsal-cuniform exostosis

Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....
I have had a small boney protrusion on the top of my foot all my life. Only recently however, the bump on the right foot only has begun to grow and become tender when I am wearing shoes. I am a rancher and have to wear cowboy boots frequently and the pain is almost unbearable with those on. Is it the best idea to have surgery to remove the bump since it is unreasonable to insert padding into a boot? Also, I am beginning to have symptoms of plantar fasciatis. Is this all inter-related??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Jennadaug,

An exostosis like the one you describe is usually due to one of three reasons. It can be from a direct trauma, such as dropping something on the foot. It can be from a significant twisting injury, causing the ligament holding the two bones to lay down bone at its attachments. Or it can be from overuse, over time, the bones rubbing against each other, the body produces bone spurs to decrease some of the motion. Or it can be a combination of things.

But, whatever the cause, how do you treat it? If the mass of bone is in an area that cannot be padded easily, then resection can be done. The key to resection, is to not damage the ligament holding the bone together. If the ligament has to be taken down to shave off the bump, then it will have to be reattached.

The biggest risk with removing the bump, is that it may come back. Especially, if the underlying problem is not corrected. But, it should decrease the symptoms you are having with your boots rubbing on it.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply