Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Metallic smell and taste?

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Sometimes I smell a bad, kind of metallic smell on people. Today my boss came into work and I could smell it very strongly on him. I couldnt smell it before he came in. Metallic is the only word I can think of to describe it. It is not a pleasant smell, and very much offends my nose! However, I get a weird feeling that its just me who can smell it. I've smelled this before on my sister, and once on my boyfriend. Its not a regular thing, but it has occurred ever since I can remember. Its not like body odor, not an unclean smell, just like a repellent smell. However noone else around me ever seems to smell it aswell as me. Today after smelling it I took a drink of water and tasted blood in my mouth. Sort of the same smell but in a taste. Like iron. Is it me that is causing this smell, hence why only I can smell it?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper boiledfrogs
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2011
Have you recently ingested any zinc cold remedies? These products can cause olfactory nerve damage which results in odd smells/tastes and even a complete loss thereof. I have olfactory nerve damage from a zinc cold remedy (cough lozenges) and I smell sulphur or burnt hair all the time. When the damage first occured I smelled ammonia very strongly.
|

replied July 8th, 2013
metallic smell
I smelled this last night in bed but I had a weird unpleasant feeling along with it. It freaked me out a bit to be honest which is why I looked it up. I have recently had a cold but it was more the feeling than the smell that bothered me. Both me and my mum always smell flowers even if there is none around when there's going to be a death in the family but never experienced this metallic smell :/
|

replied December 15th, 2013
I was sick with a infection in my chest about eight months ago. I have not been able to taste or smell since then. I do get the metallic smell and taste. Has anyone been cured from this or is this a lifetime curse?
|