Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Mesh removal after hernia repair (Page 1)

my wife aged 39 years underwent abdominal hernia repair two months back. As the prophylene mesh is not suiting her, doctors have advised its removal.

Is it advisable to remove the mesh and what is the recovery time after it is removed?

Whether another mesh will be placed?

Kindly guide me.

ggsekaran
India
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Kappy32
|

User Profile
replied August 10th, 2009
It is not clear to me what symptoms your wife is having that necessitates removal of the polypropylene mesh (is it infected? Is she having an inflammatory or allergic reaction to it?).

In any case, there are other types of synthetic and biological mesh implants available for hernia repair, and some of these might work well for your wife (simply removing--and not replacing--the current mesh will leave your wife with a hernia again).

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwacher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied August 26th, 2009
My name is Tina Harden and I have had a series of hernia repairs and multiple pcs. of Marlex mesh installed in my abdomen from 1995 to 2001. I have had nothing but trouble with the mesh, as I am very thin and the mesh edges protrude up almost poking through my skin in many areas. I have had surgeons go in and trim existing mesh edges down and trim sutures that also were poking up, with no lasting relief. The discomfort is not limited to what I have mentioned, but also pokes inwards, causing debilitating pain at times. I also have had many instances where food and gas cannot pass through my intestines, and I have to lay down on my side or take a warm bath to try to get some relief. In some instances I have had to pull over while driving, recline my seat and loosen my pants, even though I was 5 minutes from home, because I could not tolerate the pain while sitting with my pants zipped.

Another setback occured last summer, with the mesh shifting once again. Since that time, I am unable to push while going to the bathroom, I have trouble with sexual relations and experience pain when sneezing or coughing.

Last summer, I saw 5 physicians in a row, all refering me to the next, all concluding that I am "not a candidate for surgery at this time". What they really mean is that they don't want to get involved in cleaning up someone else's mess.

I have never researched these mesh complications, because I was told by the doctor that did the first surgery (installing 3 pcs. - Right Ing., Left Ing., and Umbilical), that the reason I had these issues was because I was so thin and lacked a sufficient fatty layer between my abdominal muscle and my skin. But as I was searching for a doctor to help me, I began to read of other people complications and was surprised.

I am concerned that the mesh edges which cause so much discomfort will eventually perforate my bowels, organs or blood vessels and I will require emergency surgery with whoever is on duty. I am actively seeking a expert in the field of mesh removal as I have 5 pieces and know that some, if not all, have migrated.
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
Tina Harden
My name is Shelli and I have gone through the same problems. Please contact me. I need to talk to someone who goes through what I do with the mesh.
Thanks I hope to hear from you
|

replied April 5th, 2010
Hernia mesh help
Dr Bruce Ramshaw can help
|

replied August 29th, 2010
llI am looking for a surgeon to remove hernia mesh (surgery,-hernia was done in 1954 and 2002). I am in Brooklyn, New York
|

replied September 27th, 2010
My uncle had discharge of thin fluid from umbilicus area after a lap surgery( mesh used was Prolene in august 2009). so the doctors advised to remove the mesh and to replace it and he undergone the laps surgery in may 2010 to remove the mesh and has been replaced with Marlex Mesh. But still the problem persisted the fluid has not stopped,so the doctor drained the naval through needle and I&D was done last week, there is no improvement. Now the doctors advices the removal of mesh is the only way to overcome this problem. Is it ok to remove the mesh what are the post operative issues?
|

replied September 27th, 2011
hernia mesh removal
get more opinions-my mesh was removed almost 4 years ago and fluid has leaked through my abdominal wall ever since. It has stopped on occasion, but never long enough to try another surg.
good luck-dawn barr
|

replied February 2nd, 2011
Inguinal Hernia..Marlex mesh post-op complications
Tina - What type of hernia repair did you have done? Has your issue been resolved? I too had an open hernia repair performed in August 2010 and still have problems with my Marlex mesh. Like you, the sutures are stabbing me from the inside. Very debilitating. Help?
|

replied March 21st, 2011
I had a surgical hernia repair and abdominal wall reconstruction with a tummy tuck almost a year ago. Since then, I have had severe complications from it including a missed diagnosis of a pin hole and small leak made in my intestine that the surgeon did when he was closing me up. I recovered after a few months but have always had and still have abdominal pain, swelling, tightness and now a protrusion out of my abdomen. Its about the size of a baseball and is extremely uncomfortable. I have a NEW Colo-Rectal Surgeon out of Philly who is the Chief of Surgery at Hahnemann and knows his stuff...After several tests, he told me that the cadaver mesh that the pervious surgeon used needs to be removed and replaced with plastic mesh. He also seems very reluctant to schedule the surgery because he said that I'm going to be a very complicated case due to this being my 4th abdominal surgery in a year and a half. (This all started 6/09 with a ruptured diverticulum) Does anyone know of this because Im very very concerned and scared to death...but I can't live like this anymore. I'm desperate! Please help!
|

replied May 11th, 2011
I'm in the same boat as many of you. I had a left, open inguinal hernia repair in 2003, then six months later had the repair done again due to a recurrence. The second operation was done by the same surgeon, however he did the laproscopic mesh insertion this time around. After the second operation, I became numb in the left groin/pelvic area and had testicular pain only when engaging in strenuous activities. In March 2010, I began experiencing constant, debilitating pain in the left testicle comparable to being constantly kicked in the nuts. Thining the condition was related to back spasms I was experiencing, I underwent a plethora of tests to see if I had a back condition. When the tests for the back came back negative, I was referred to a sports surgeon for a possible torn hip labrum. When that came back negative I was looked at as though I was imagining this pain. Finally, I began researching the topic myself and met with my PC doctor. She heard of and knew of the complications from hernia mesh insertion and referred me back to pain management for nerve blocker injections. Due to the density of the scar tissue above and around where the mesh was inserted (actual calcification build up), the doctor was unable to successfully inject my nerve(s) with the blocker.

After nearly running out of options, in Jan 2011 I went back to my original surgeon to discuss options with him. He recommended an exploration surgery aimed at removing scar tissue and nerve entrapment. I underwent that surgery on 2/15/11 and have not seen one bit of improvement to date. As a matter of fact, I have experienced further pain and complications since this procedure. When freeing up the entrapped nerve, he cured the numbness in my left groin/pelvic area where the mesh is situated and now I not only have the debilitating testice pain, but I also have debilitating pain in the groin area that was once numb. Also, the scar tissue removed from the groin/pelvic area has returned two-fold, which I did not imagine was possible, and I not have a left groin that is double the size of my right groin. The groin is warm to the the touch as well.

After a couple months of no relief, I returned to the surgeon and he told me to rest, and if it did not get better, he would have to go in and remove the mesh and perform a triple neurectomy. Well, here it is on May 11 and I have only gotten worse. I have been on narcotic pain medication for over a year and I am nervous how my body will react to being taken off. At 27, it is NOT an option for me to live on pills or in pain. Therefore, I have decided that later this week, May 13, I am going in to see my surgeon again and I am going to have the hernia mesh removal and triple neurectomy. I have researched the limited data available on such operations and I have found that the relief from this surgery has been as high as 95% in some focus groups. I am hoping that this will put an end to the hell I have been going through and give me at least some sort of relief. I will keep you all posted on how the surgery works, i.e., recovery, relief, etc. Take care all and I wish you all the best.

KC
|

replied May 14th, 2011
Experienced User
Guys (KC and River),

How about sharing some doctors names here so people can benefit from your experiences. If these doctors look promising in what they can do for you, let us know. If you've had bad experiences with doctors you would NOT recommend, share those too.
|

replied June 14th, 2011
I had a whole long reply for you but lost it. I just want to say I found an MD Holistic / Natural guy who is using Serapin and Lidocane inject able into the scar and mesh area. It kept a gun out of my mouth and I have sex every two days would be more if it were up to me and until I met this guy I was abstinent by force, PAIN pathetic!! This guy has a proven by modern medical research and documentation that works immediately. If you want to hear about it send me phone # or e mail I don't type that well to put it all hear. I am not selling anything or any of that sh&*t I just want to pass this on you sound miserable to. I will work on getting the info posted for everyone but the Drug is Serapin and Lidocain then lidocain patch and Flector Patch over scar. If it works it will change your life if not whats one more Torpedo to a sinking ship!!
|

replied June 21st, 2011
I found a surgeon!!
I had great luck with a surgeon at Baylor Grapevine, in Grapevine, Texas. I am trying to locate hs name, because I have seen so many doctors. I was referred to him by Dr. David Spady though - another GREAT doctor! I had Prolene mesh and nothing but problems for over 5 years. No one else would go in and remove the mesh, but he did, and I am almost pain free - except for some nerve damage and scar tissue. I am able to do almost everything I dd before, and I feel as though he has given me my life back.. I really do understand what all of you are going through. I would be in so much pain that I would stay in bed and cry from pain, and depression for years. There IS hope, just do NOT give up!!
|

replied January 30th, 2012
I am heading to a surgeon after 2 years of terrible pain from incisional hernia repair with gortex(?) mesh. I have been reading the posts here. I don't know if i am hopeful or not! I want my life back, i want to be well. I want to sleep without waking up due to pain. The only time i get ANY relief is when i sit perfectly still for a few minutes. How is this a good idea? Anyhow, maybe i can write here about what happens today.
|

I am heading to a surgeon after 2 years of terrible pain from incisional hernia repair with gortex(?) mesh. I have been reading the posts here. I don't know if i am hopeful or not! I want my life back, i want to be well. I want to sleep without waking up due to pain. The only time i get ANY relief is when i sit perfectly still for a few minutes. How is this a good idea? Anyhow, maybe i can write here about what happens today.
|

replied April 20th, 2012
hernia surgery
Who is the surgeon Lorene?
|

replied September 6th, 2011
I had the hernia mesh removal procedure done. Thus far, I have mixed reviews. For those of you are truly interested, e-mail me to discuss it further. There ar some rather personal things that occurred that I do not want to post.
|

replied January 15th, 2012
mesh removal
Dear Kappy32,
I am thinking of removing my mesh inserted by laparoscopic surgery. As you mentioned on ehealthforum, I am interested to know your experience.
I look forward to hear from you.
Thanks
Jamshed
|

replied July 10th, 2012
How are you doing? I have an inguinal hernia and would like to avoid a mesh if at all possible. Give me your thoughts.

Thanks
EJ
|

replied September 17th, 2012
Kappy32, would love to hear from you. As to the mesh removal and your complications. We are seeking a dr. to remove two large sections of mesh and 2 large perfix plugs. What a living hell my brother has been thru. The mesh put in April 2011 and down hill ever since. Please email or phone would be very apprciated.
|

replied January 9th, 2013
I am so sorry, for not checking this site more often. So sorry Kappy32, did not know you had a question, I will try checking this forum at least once a week now. We did travel to Ormand beach or you might as say Daytona Beach Fl. to have Dr. Bruce Ramshaw removed all of his mesh & plugs. Very compassionate dr. He told us up front that it will take time to heal. Up to two years. My Brother had 2 plugs and 2 large pieces of mesh which Dr. Ramshaw was able to remove all mesh & plugs but had large amounts of scar tissue full length of colon. Still having problems defecating and numbness down legs. Time cannot go by fast enough. We are still praying.
|

replied September 7th, 2011
Experienced User
Who did your mesh removal?
|

Dr. James Grischkan in Beachwood, Ohio.
|

It's the Hernia Center of Ohio, located right outside Cleveland, approximately 30 minutes away. Great surgeon, very personable & despite what other surgeons tell you or claim, this guy is the leading surgeon in this very risky, relatively unknown & non-recommended procedure. I spoke with, visited & interviewed other surgeons who do same or similar procedures & I felt most comfortable with him. I traveled all the way from LI, NY, about 10 hours each direction via car, just to have him do my surgery despite there being a closer surgeon in Lansdale, PA (approx. 3 1/2 hours from me). If you're serious about going forward, google the center, fill out the post-hernia chronic pain questionnaire & e-mail him. He will contact you personally in the evening, around 8:00-9:00 p.m. and discuss your options. Best of luck. I would put my e-mail up here for you to contact me, but ehealthforum removed it from my last post, calling it "personal information." If you have any other questions about my experience, just reply to this post & I will answer ASAP. I will tell you, however, that it's not all a walk in the park. I suffered a known, severe side-effect from the surgery & mesh constriction that resulted in me losing a "body part." I still have one of those body parts left, if you know what I mean, but losing it was traumatic & extremely painful.
|

replied June 3rd, 2013
In 2010 I had and umbilical hernia removable.onlytwo weeks later to go back into the hospital because the marlex mesh they used were infected. I ended up with a total hysterectomy, and an illistomy bag I'm now a chronic bowel patient.so I know how u feel when you can't go to the restroom and can't use it .everyone I have spoke with said the doctor had to cut my bowels but he covered it up.in his report now I have to live in pain every day of my life.they have sll of these mesh lwa suits going but everytime I call they claim it's not for the marlex mesh I just pray that there are someone out there can help me because i know that's something thst can be done about this.i've also had a reoccurrence of these hernias and had a recently surgery in 2012 due to the first complication.if anyone out there read this please don't ignore this .guide me in the right directions.thank you sincerly Gloria williams -cornelius
|

replied April 16th, 2014
did u lose this part from original repair or after mesh removal surgery
|

replied September 18th, 2011
Kappa32,
Thanks for your posting. I'm scheduled to have my mesh removed next month by dr. Petersen in las Vegas. He's has gone over all of the complications with me but I'm still planning on doing it. I cant live with the way I am now so I don't have a choice. How long were you in the hospital? And did you loose your body part from the mesh removal or was it a complication of the original hernia surgery? Any other info that you could share would be great. I'm sorry for the questions but I am so nervous about my upcoming surgery and I don't have anyone to really talk to about it. My family and friends just don't understand.
Thanks for any help you can give me,
Mike
|

I am heading out to see a surgeon this morning about what to do with this terrible pain from a 2 year old gortex mesh hernia repair. I can not stand the pain any longer. It is depressing. It is terrible. And i can not take anything for pain due to the side effects. I will check in here later to report what is said. But all of these posts have been educational and helpful.. even if i am not hopeful!
|

replied February 1st, 2012
Experienced User
Who was the surgeon who used the Gortex mesh on you the first time around?
|

replied February 23rd, 2012
hernia mesh removal
My fiance is having her mesh removed next week. Im very concered. I wanted to know what are some of the complacations after the surgery, and whats the average recovery time after?
|

replied April 16th, 2012
Did everything go ok?
|

replied May 21st, 2012
I am female. I have intermittent pain. I saw the surgeon. He said he thinks I have a neuroma but if he can't find it he'll remove the mesh he put in 2 years ago. I was pain free for one year and then lifted something heavy. He told me he had 3 other patients with mesh problems. I'm worried after reading all this that I'll be worse off. I had an inguinal hernia with mesh and the only problem before was the numbness which I still have. The Dr says the surgery is a simple one and acted like it was no big deal. Please help/advise.
|
12 >>
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.