Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

mental institution length of stay ?

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
My boyfriend is in a mental hospital and out of contact with me completely, after nearly 2 months in jail. He restrained me and threatened to kill me... I had no choice but to call 911. Now there is a no contact order set and I haven't talked to him in far too long. I still love him-- I will always love him. He says he is bipolar, but he had never been diagnosed. I don't know; his ups and downs were more like tantrums than rapid cycling thoughts or anything I get -- but my case is pretty classic. I am bipolar myself, but it's well managed for the last 8 years and rarely an issue anymore (I take lithium and abilify). Plus I never heard of a bipolar person being homicidal (just suicidal). I am not allowed to contact him so I don't know how long he will be in there. I am wondering if anyone knows an average length of stay in such a place?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 30th, 2009
My fiance just went in on Friday, I'm told 72 hours, but that is sort of a minimum. It depends on how he is doing after 72 hours then they will access him day to day from there I beleive. At least that's what I was told from my fiance going in on Friday.
|

replied August 31st, 2009
Thanks -- I know they are doing a 72 hour evaluation, but followed by what I don't know. I am pretty sure they are going to keep him in there longer because he is not only a harm to himself but others. I really miss him.
|