Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Menstruation and 2 weeks later i spotted for two days?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I have a pretty normal period about every 28 to 30 day cycle, I got my period on the 6th of september and 2 weeks later i spotted for two days very light and pink in colour, im due around the 6th of october but i started spotting on the 1st of october and its a bit heavier today but nothing like a period. I've taken a HPT but negitive as i suppose it's too early to tell any idea what might be the cause of this?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2011
Menstruation Answer A27328
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The bleeding/spotting that you experienced 2 weeks after periods could be suggestive of possibility of implantation bleeding (if you had been sexually active after your last normal periods), or even ovulation bleeding. Sometimes you can have variation of 5-10 days in your usual menstrual cycle due to various causes (which is considered to be within normal limits). If pregnancy is suspected, look out for development of any new symptoms. Urine pregnancy test kits usually start showing positive results after about 20 days post-conception (roughly corresponding to about a week after your missed periods). Sometimes urine pregnancy tests can keep showing you false negative results during early pregnancy as the kits are calibrated ones, so unless the hormone levels in urine reach a certain level, they do not show positive results. Wait and watch for your periods or observe your current periods/bleeding. If you do not get your periods within 10 days of expected period dates, or if you get abnormal periods, or if you develop symptoms suggestive of pregnancy, you should consider visiting your gynecologist for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately). Blood HCG levels can show accurate results as early as about 11 days post-conception. Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Maintain healthy diet. You may also consider taking a repeat urine pregnancy test (on an early morning first urine sample) after 7-10 days to see if you get positive results, or get it confirmed by a blood HCG test (avoid lot of fluid intake or caffeinated beverage intake in the previous night before test).
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.