Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Menstruation and HPV information

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
On Saturday October 1st I was expecting my period, I didnt have any PMS symptoms which was pretty odd. (My period has been coming on the 1st of every month for a year!) Although I did have some cramping. I went to the bathroom that same day and when I wiped there was light blood, so I thought I was starting my period. I used a panty liner and out of the few hours I had it on there was only one drop of blood on it. Later on that night there was nothing, and nothing until the 10th. Now I thought I was pregnant, took tests and both were negative. Then the 10th comes and all of a sudden I have my period! Its really heavy, I soaked up a super plus tampon in 2 hours! I have no idea whats going on, I am afraid I have cancer (I do have HPV) I know I have to see a doctor, but I am really scared! Please help.....

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 15th, 2008
Menstruation Answer A4887
Given your description of the menstrual period being late for 10 days and the light spotting on the expected date of menstrual onset, it seems that you may be experiencing a hormonal disbalance. Sometimes, due to various reasons, estrogens and progesterone blood concentrations in woman’s body change from their normal values thus leading to cycle variations, spotting and break-through bleeding. It is advisable that you consult with your gynecologist, to have bloodwork, swabs, PAP and maybe even an ultrasound done, in order to find out the cause of this. However, a change of cycle as well as an excessive bleeding is not HPV related.

But, it might be essential that you check the situation with the HPV. Papanikolau test (PAP test) should be performed regularly, in order to check for oddly-changed cells on the cervix. Your gynecologist might also examine the surface of the cervix by microscopy, called colposcopy.

Not every type of Human Papilloma Virus causes cancer and precancerous lesions. Only certain of the types are cancerous, such as types: 18, 31, 33, 35, etc. You might also want to find out what type of HPV you carry…and you should consult on how to increase your immunity, anyway (to keep the HPV in “sleeping mode”).

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.