Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

menstrual vomiting (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
hi
i'm really ill every time i have a period. Its always the first day of my period that i'm ill. i'm so ill i often faint and once i have stopped vomiting then i end up being so tiered that i'll sleep the whole day!!
i've been to my local doctors and they have diagnosed me with Dysmenorrhoea?? which i have now researched and think are pain full periods which myn are not as i have no cramping or anything pain at all just really bad vomiting. I've been on anti sickness and quite a few other drugs but they all have to be taken 3 days in advance and i'm not regular !! so now they have just used the pill to stop my periods all together. i don't see this as really curing it as they still don't know what it is. at one point they thought i might have a hormone imbalance?? but they've done no test or anything!! i'm looking 4 another veiw and advice on what to do next!! because i pushed to see a gynecologist and he's the one who said Dysmenorrhoea but because i'm young wouldn't do an exam or any tests???
Thank you
Chip x
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper coolishere
|

replied January 16th, 2009
menstrual vomiting
I wish I had an answer, I'm trying to research on my sisters' issue. I've vomited on about three different occasions, always on the first day of menstruation & its usually after I eat (especially junk food). I just avoid eating the first day all together. As for my sister, for the past 5 or so months she gets her cycle every 23 days & vomits thru the 1st day, has extreme pain & fatigue. I believe its due to her malnutritioned diet. I have read that during menstruation some sort of hormone or chemical that causes the uteran wall to contract causes the stomach walls and/or intestines to contract also causing vomiting and/or diarrhea (I've been affected by both). Maybe your cause, can always check into your diet & exercise routine. Lots of walking, stretching, high intake of water & green leafy veggies may help.
|

replied March 19th, 2013
gluten allergy?
|

replied January 26th, 2009
menstrual vomiting
Try asking your physician to check you for angio edema...a blood test can check for it. There is no cure for it, but steroids may help. It can be hereditary.
|

replied January 31st, 2009
Menstrual Vomiting
My 13 yrd old daughter has started having this problem as well. I posted a question about her acute pain/vomiting at the onset of her period. She has had normal cycles for over a year, and now has had 2 cycles in the last 3 months that at the onset of the cycle she has extreme acute pain, and has vomiting. The episode only lasts 30 minutes, but is horrible. Then she has the normal cramps etc. Her doctor is trying BC pills to see if that helps. Let us know if you find out anymore info.
|
Users who thank AMC5 for this post: oneforall 

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied January 31st, 2009
menstrual vomiting
I am an RN and have only seen this problem in one person in my 31 years of nursing, but I think it is more common than people know. It usually takes a long time for a diagnosis because many physicians are not aware of this disease and do not know what to check for, so they look at everything else, even mistreating the problem and making things worse. It is worth a try to have the blood test run if for no other reason than to rule out hereditary angioedema which is probably a worst case scenario. But regardless the menstrual cycle should not cause severe abdominal cramping and vomiting, so do not give up getting to an answer.

Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is caused by low levels or improper function of a protein called C1 inhibitor. This problem affects the blood vessels. People with hereditary angioedema can develop rapid swelling of the hands, feet, limbs, face, intestinal tract, or airway (larynx or trachea). A simple blood test for the C-1 inhibitor will aid in a diagnosis.

Unlike an allergic reaction, there is usually no itching or hives. Swelling of the gut can cause intestinal cramping. If swelling closes the airway, it can be deadly. Attacks of swelling can become more severe in late childhood and adolescence.

There is usually a family history of the condition. However, relatives may be unaware of previous cases, which may have just been reported as an unexpected, sudden, and premature death of a parent, aunt, uncle, or grandparent.

Many attacks occur without reason. However, anxiety, stress, sickness (including colds and the flu), and surgery have been shown to trigger certain attacks of hereditary angioedema. Dental procedures increase the risk of attacks in patients with HAE.

Gastrointestinal attacks cause excruciating abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea caused by swelling in the intestinal wall. This symptom is a distinguishing feature of HAE because abdominal pain is rarely seen in other types of angioedema.

Hypovolemia can occur from a combination of fluid loss, plasma extravasation, and vasodilation, and can progress into hypovolemic shock.

In women, menstruation and pregnancy seem to have a major effect on disease activity. Many female patients report an increase in the number of attacks during their menstrual periods. During pregnancy, some women note an increase in the frequency of attacks, while others have reported a decrease. Many women report that oral contraceptives and hormone replacement therapy cause an increase in the frequency and severity of attacks.

I hope this will help...and I wish you success in finding her help.
|

replied July 8th, 2012
My 19 year old daughter has Hereditary Angioedema type 3 which is estrogen induced. That also causes the swelling and she gets the same symptoms a week before her period. It is not diagnosed by a blood test like type 1 and type 2. It is the rarest and least known form of it. She has had relief from progesterone only cream from Dr. Erika Schwartz(a dr in NYC that has written the book "The Hormone Solution"). However, stress increases estrogen levels and trying ways to alleviate it also helps(acupuncture, etc...) Dr. Henry Li in Chevy Chase, MD also knows a lot about HAE type 3. There used to be only 1 doctor really researching it and his name was Dr. Bork in Germany. However, there is now a doctor researching it at Duke University.
|

replied February 17th, 2009
pre-adolescent, same symptoms
My 11-year-old daughter has vomited close to the same day of the month the last 4 of 6 months. It comes on suddenly and she usually feels better within a few hours. She said it does not feel like when she has the stomach virus (which she had two weeks ago) nor does her stomach hurt, she just gets nauseous and then vomits within about 30 minutes. Has anyone had experience with this? I feel so bad for her.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.

replied February 18th, 2009
menstrual vomiting
I suffer from the same problem, up to now i didnt know many people did. Im normally sick on the first day around the morning to mid-afternoon. From what ive read it seems very connected to hormones, and them ejusting.
I have been to my doctor many times and hes trying different medication, I dont want to go on the pill..ive herd that some people have very bad side effects ??? or is it the best thing to do ?
I have read about herbs and different things which are ment to help. If anyone knows anyways to ease nausea, vomitting please help Smilex
|

replied February 25th, 2009
Pain during menstrual cycle
hi,
every time am having my period, ill be so ill especially 2nd day and 3rd day. on the other hand, i'll be so ill when the blood flow non-stop. i used to take cold drink to make the blood to stop. the painful area is on my Pancrease area...its hard for me to talk, move, eat, sleep and walk. i always sweating.

my mom and my bio teachers advised me to drink warm drink but i hate it because ill be so weak and couldnt move from bed. when i move from bed, i will feels like throwing up.

my friend's mom went to d clinic bcoz she always like fall down everytime having menstrual cycle. the doctor says she's having a "dirty blood" and got infection on her (down there)....

am afraid to check coz i lost my virginity and my parents doesnt noe about it. so, i need help!
|

replied June 10th, 2009
Severe pain!
This is Awesome! I'm glad i have found this post! I have had this since I was 12 yrs old! I am glad that more people are coming out now sharing their own experiences, maybe as a result we could one day grab doctors and scientists' attention and they could start researching about this, cause right now...they know NOTHING! I used to be so embarrassed as a teenager because i thought i was abnormal, doctors always told me that my condition was "normal", deep down inside i knew something was just not right! because i did not know anyone else that suffers like me on their 1st day of cycle. Just like you all I have had very bad cramps since my very first period! Every time, I would not only get horrible & uncomfortable pains where i would sweat, feel hot then cold, but I would just vomit aaaalllll day long! until my stomach would be empty...when i no longer could vomit food, i would have diarrhea and start to vomit bile! then When I felt like this, I would not be able to sit not lay down, i would keep switching positions and then i would feel really tired and weak and would fall asleep, then wake up later to go through the same thing all over again. That would take place from 5 AM until like 9-10PM, because of that I would always miss days of school.
Doctors prescribed me everything from Motrin, to Ibuprofen, to higher dosage like Naproxen, but no pain killer would work even after they would tell me to take them 3 days before. They finally put me on the pill (the low dosage)about 5 yrs ago, and that is the only thing that have helped, but now in my early 20s, i still get vomiting and all the other symptoms, so now i want to get off the pills (because i have been on them for years,am really scared of the side effects and they making me gain so much weight! even though doctors swear they r "harmless"! I have never been tested for my condition! ARE there any kinds of testing that can reveal whats causing all this?
|

replied September 15th, 2012
vomiting and loose motions during periods
I am also suffering from same problem during my first day of period.. i vomit all day until my stomach would empty and also loose motions are starting at that time.
i just crying whole day and night due to excessive pain.
but no pain killer and medicine could help me..
|

replied June 10th, 2009
extreme vomiting during menstrual cycle
hello ladies, I'm so glad that someone started this topic..Since the age of 13,I have experienced extreme vomiting, cramps, and bleeding. Normally, the vomiting started on the first day of my cycle. I can't seem to keep any food or liquids down, not even water. I've been to many doctors but they only prescribe medicine for the pain. I don't take the medicine given because I feel it is to strong..pamprin works for the cramps but nothing tends to stop the vomiting. I just have to wait hrs until it stops. The vomiting is so bad that I can't go to class or work..I just want to stay home and sleep..If anyone finds any more information about this menstrual problem, please post it..
thanks
|

replied July 15th, 2012
Thank you ladies for sharing..i've had these syptoms too, i wouldn't get them every period but when they arrive it is the worst!! I break out in spots a few days before and the first day of the cycle i feel the cramps gradually getting more and more painful...so sore that i wouldn't be able to stand then i would feel nauseous and would have diarrhea. For hours i would feel these syptoms until finlly i would vomit and feel better. Sometimes i don't and will keep vomiting acid. Then i would lay in bed turning constantly in pain until eventually i would fall asleep. The following day i would have light cramps and bloating. The following days "thankfully" i'm back to normal. I wish i could stop it because it ruins anything you have for the day. And i fear it will land on a really important day Sad
|

replied June 12th, 2009
Severe Menstrual Symptoms: Crapms, Nausea, Vomiting, Headache...
Hi all,

I am so glad to have found this forum...as well as to see that there are more women out there experiencing same, or similar symptoms as I do. Ever since I first got my period...at the age of 13, I would always or most of the time experience severe cramps. However, few years ago, after I switched my diet, or became vegetarian...and than vegan, I have started experiencing...in relation to severe cramps, nausea, vomiting, and head aches. These symptoms mostly occur during the first day of my menstruation. However...what I have noticed is that...after I vomit, all the other symptoms go away...or are made less severe...Yesterday, after I got my period, I vomited twice...once in the afternoon and once in the evening...and after each time, I felt much much better. Another thing about my symptoms is that I am not able to keep any food or drink down...So, I pretty much have to go all day without eating anything. And since I am a vegetarian...this is not the best thing in the world for me...to skip my meals. One thing to note as well...though I live in the USA/east coast...last year, or 2008, I lived in Canada/Vancouver for 6 months...and while there...had absolutely no symptoms! (only minor cramps)...but not nausea, vomiting or anything the entirety of my stay...however, ever since I got back to the States, my symptoms came back...and happen every month...One thing that my friend told me...is that one of the major reasons why I might be experiencing these craps is due to the quality of drinking water...

If you have any more insight into any of these...please post...

Thanks for sharing all...
|

replied June 12th, 2009
Re: menstrual vomiting
it's okay if she had it every 23 days, that's perfect and exactly on time, and she is fertile like that ... don't worry about that, with the cramps , let her play regular sports.... every two days at least .. let her try that method, and she will not get severe pain in her coming period... !!

seeking_help wrote:
I wish I had an answer, I'm trying to research on my sisters' issue. I've vomited on about three different occasions, always on the first day of menstruation & its usually after I eat (especially junk food). I just avoid eating the first day all together. As for my sister, for the past 5 or so months she gets her cycle every 23 days & vomits thru the 1st day, has extreme pain & fatigue. I believe its due to her malnutritioned diet. I have read that during menstruation some sort of hormone or chemical that causes the uteran wall to contract causes the stomach walls and/or intestines to contract also causing vomiting and/or diarrhea (I've been affected by both). Maybe your cause, can always check into your diet & exercise routine. Lots of walking, stretching, high intake of water & green leafy veggies may help.
|

replied June 26th, 2009
menstrual allergy?
I'm 29 and have suffered from these same problems the first day of my period. I even missed a promotion due my monthly "deathday" as i referred to it, because I'm often so ill that for a few hours I feel I won't make it! Also, from ages of about ten until I got my period at 15, I would get monthly migraines with vomiting, for which they could find no cause. I have no health insurance and no doctor, but I saw a TV show where they suspected a girl might be having some kind of allergic reaction to her own cycle and put her on a simple antihistamine. It didn't work on the show, but figuring it couldn't hurt I tried it for me. I took the generic OTC Claritin 24 hr allergy relief daily for one month, and did NOT get sick. Now I start taking it about a week before my period and it seems to work. I still cramp badly and have some stomach issues but am actually able to make it through work. As soon as I get health insurance I will get checked out, but for now this is a blessing for me.
|
Users who thank angie88 for this post: Sapata 

replied May 27th, 2012
Wondering:).
So its possible to be allergic to you're Monthly period?o.o; Well.. that might actually make sense in my case.. the last time i had mind I spent about half an hour in the bathroom pukeing, my cramps were awfull. I thought I was going to die, andbroke down shivering, than everything was fine.. do you think its only an allergic reaction ?o.o.thank you:).
|

replied July 12th, 2009
menstrual vomiting
i am sooo glad i found this forum! this is such a blessing!
i have the exact same problem, on the first day of my period, i get insane pains in my stomach, am throwing up most of the day, and then so exhasted i sleep for a gd 2+hours afterwards.
my doctor said I had poly cystolic ovarian disorder, but i checked it out and it said that you skip and miss periods plus more facial hair, etc.

I just wish that doctors would actually diagnose us properly!
|

User Profile
replied July 12th, 2009
Supporter
i have something called dysfunctional uterine bleeding. i would spot for weeks or bleed heavy with large clots. they took tests and i dont have anything infection, fibroid tumors, etc. so they said i had inbalanced hormones and they dont know why.
i researched the internet and it said that having high blood pressure (i have) can cause irregular menses, and gaining alot weight in a short amount of time can cause this.
i m on birth control pills to control the bleeding, so i am concerned also of what can happen if i get off of it.
|

replied August 18th, 2009
I too am a vegan and have the same problem. I was a vegetarian from the age of 12 to 15 and then vegan from 15 to now (1Cool. My friend is also a vegetarian and has the same problem. We have both been on several medications, but none really work. I have looked on vegetarian/vegan forums but haven't really found anything similar. Just wondering if anybody has found out anything since they last posted.
|

replied September 13th, 2009
maybe its Endometriosis
People who have vomiting and severe pain during periods need to consider Endometriosis. I'm 29 years old and have always had horrible and strange periods. I started when I was 11, then it stopped for 2 years and started again when I was 13. Last year I started doing research about Endometriosis. I found out my cousin has a very advance case of it, and I'm also suspecting that my grandmother might have had it when she was alive. if someone in your family has it, a woman is 45% more likely to have the same problem. Anyway, the ONLY thing that has helped me 95% is getting on a high estogen dose of Birth control pills. I take Zovia 1/35, and I can't believe what a miricle it has been in my life. I never take the inactive pills and my doctor recomended that I only have a period once or twice a year. so I just constantly take the acice pills.

After two weeks when I started this new treatment, I wasn't nauseated like i had been so frequently. no more CRAZY throwing up, cramps so bad I can't get out of bed periods. no more random pain i would always get in between periods, and a few other random problems that you would never think would be associated with your hormones. Anyway, just something to consider...

Endometriosis... please read about it!
|
Users who thank KawaiiKitty29 for this post: starship33 

replied January 24th, 2012
Thank you, for posting your experience with menstrual nausea and vomiting. I got the answer I was looking for, I am having some of the same symptoms and I was thinking about trying birth control pills to see if it would help that problem after I talk to my doctor. I do believe that might help a little, well it's worth a try.

Thank you.
|

replied September 13th, 2009
wow i feel so relieved that someone feels the same way i do. i thought i was abnormal to be like that during my period. the first day would be the worst i would get heavy painful cramps that feel like neddles and someone punching me, then i would start to vomit constantly non stop. then i get diarrhea that make me feel worse. the weid thing about is if i drink tea and 2 aleve pills and try to stay active nothing really happens the first day, and the pain wait for the second day to come. that is so evil. so it's like it comes either way whether the first day or the last. ladies try putting a heating pad under your stomach, not too hot, as much as you can handle, because the heat actually give you a little and relief, and NEVER drink anything cold or walk bare-foot on the cold floor, trust me you will regret it and get worse, or have your sickness come back quickly after relief. because of my condition i always miss a day or two from school and can't get up. and every position or movement hurts.
|

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2009
I have menstrual vomiting with no other symptoms?
I have no health insurance, so I haven't been to a doctor in seven years. I was laid off 10 months ago so I'm unemployed and broke. I'm afraid to go to a free clinic because whatever is wrong with me will become a pre-existing condition, and then I'll never get insurance! I'm 39, and for the last six periods, I vomit for the last two days of my period. After food is gone, dry heaves take over - about every 20 minutes until 7-8 at night. Then, I can eat and sleep. Next day, same thing. Nothing else is different - no extra cramps, pain, swelling, bloating, or ANYTHING has changed; except the puking.

Anyone have any idea how to make it stop? Is it fibroids? Hormones? What can I do if I can't see a doctor?
|

replied October 2nd, 2009
vomitting prior to period
Dear Ladies - I am also very pleased to have stumbled across this website - my symptoms aren't as bad as yours - but for the last year now I start feeling quite ill prior to my period (I'm 43)I have left work feeling exceedingly ill to wake up the next morning with my period feeling fine and gone back to work - it took me some months to figure out the coincidence - but it's getting worse and worse - from feeling very ill to vomitting!!! It's like a clock being switched on and off and lasts about 12 hours .....I will try the antihistamine line of attack and see what happens
|
Quick Reply