Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

meniscus injury repeat offender

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Has anyone had multiple meniscus injuries occur to both knees in a relatively short period of time (i.e. 3 in less than 3 years). Are there any indicators that one could be more prone to meniscii injuries due to a genetic condition, skeletal structure reason, or just being out of shape.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Andoni
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi Andoni: Yes, I have been and always was more prone to meniscus injuries due to my genetics...With me it has been passed on to my children and may I add there is nothing that I can do about it...Take care...

Caroline
|

Caroline, thanks for replying to my question. Did your doctor ever offer any advice as to what can be done, or did your doctor ever perform a test that determined that you were more prone to menical injuries. I ask because I keep injuring myself and I can't figure out why.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Andoni: Mine is because of lack of knee caps...Because of this, I am missing the protection and strength that other people have...Years ago they wanted to do some experimental surgery to see if they could help...I said, no...and am happy I did...You may want to ask your Orthopedist what the reason is for your injuring yourself?...
|
Users who thank CarolineEF for this post: Andoni 

replied July 30th, 2011
Have you had physio? I have had knee pain since child hood but no apparent cause. Recently however I have had surgery for a large miniscus tear.My physio says that my knee muscle which controls the placement of the knee cap (On the inner side of the leg just over the knee) is weak in both legs and this could have contributed to my miniscus being vunerable. My surgeon says that long term outside of physio that swimming and stationary cycling are the best ways to strengthen these muscles i think they refered to them as vmo's, and prevent future injury. My three young children all also complain of knee pain and occasional problems such as the knee buckling. For them I am trying to make sure they have a good diet ( protein fish oils calcium etc) and plenty of exercise to keep their muscles strong (ballet and yoga are good)> i have been taking a joint support supplement, silica and fish oils keeping fingers crossed that op will be a success, i have 2 weeks to go of 12 weeks in a locked brace (Boring!) Best of luck and take good care of yourself.
|
Tags: period
Quick Reply