Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Meningitis Forum

Meningitis but lumbar puncture negative?

Must Read
Meningitis is contagious and can be life threatening. Get the basic facts on meningitis here....
What are the different types of meningitis and who do they affect? We answer this here....
Early signs and symptoms of meningitis can mimic the flu. Can you identify meningitis symptoms and know when to seek medical help?...
I have several symptoms of meningitis including headache, extremely stiff neck (cannot touch neck to chest or look down), fever of 102, loss of appetite, muscle weakness, and nausea. I went to the ER at onset of symptoms but before I had a fever, and was tested for meningitis, including a spinal tap, which came back normal. Blood test and CT scan were also normal. Now it looks like my face is swollen as well, especially by the parotid glands. Any idea what this could be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 6th, 2008
Experienced User
When did you go to the ER?

Did they test for Mono?
|

replied August 6th, 2008
do i have meningitis
I went to ER within 24 hours of first subtle symptoms.

No I wasn't tested for mono, but I have had had mono before, and from what I understand, you can't get it twice.
|

replied August 6th, 2008
Experienced User
So how long have you been sick? That is what I meant by when did you go to the ER.

Have you consulted with your regular doctor? I thinkt hat is the best place to start.

While getting mono a second time is rare it can happen also you can get symptoms of mono even when you don't have it.

I'm not entirely 100% positive but I'm pretty sure to have menigitis you'd need to test positive on a test.
|

replied December 28th, 2008
Lumbar puncture
When I was hospitalized for meningitis in Sept. they were unabe to do lumbar puncture because my platelet count was much too low. Had to diagnose it on signs, symptoms and blood tests only. But my symptoms were the same was yours. Also had bad hallucinations. I had mono in the 70's and the symptoms in my case were different. I knew that was not the problem.
|