Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Meningitis Forum

meningitis and depression

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
when I was 18 months old (now 55) I had meningitis...swelling on the brain which needed two holes drilled into my head for drainage..now have brain clips..is it possible that this has caused my longtime clinical depression?..apart from that I have no after effects..Glendaean
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bel4912
|

replied December 12th, 2011
Hello, I'm in the same position. I had neonatal meningitis and have been struggling with depression since childhood. From what I've read there may be a link-- some authors have identified symptoms of post-traumatic stress-disorder among children treated for meningitis as well as their parents and siblings. As there is a history of depression/ bipolar in my family and that my growing-up conditions were somewhat difficult I thought my issues were due to these but now I'm starting to see how everything comes together. Hope that helps.
|

User Profile
replied August 30th, 2012
depression response
I was 11 with meningitis. When I came home, I was constantly thinking of self as being a burden to everyone. As well, I often presented with classic temper tantrum. Vicious cycle of both. Depression heavy. Generally over time I came way down off it, but often times feelings of worthless, overly in debt to society, feelings of residual after effect symptoms will never leave sometimes take a heavy toll. But with two teen children, and me being a single unemployed mother, my children very successful off at school, grades, aspirations, etc... Life really is very good. I have come a Long way. This would not be possible if I did NOT have a purpose. Smile
|