Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

Memory loss

Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
Hi, I am 53 years old and had a minor stroke 6 years ago. I have recovered almost fully. The only problem i have is that i sometimes forget things and sometimes it can be like a full day is blocked from my mind that i can't remember . I now live with my son. He built a flat for me and has offered to give me work in the Insurance industry. The problem that now arises is that he can't see that I had been handling a whole regions budget previously and now it takes me more time to understand and specially to remember things he explains to me. He also can't understand that the last 6 years i have been writing everything down because i forget stuff quickly. I would do something like yesterday and then today i would be totally blank about how i did it and have to go back to my notes. This happens regularly. Is there something i can do to change this memory problem i have? My son don't seem to understand. He says stuff like he is sick of hearing that i use my minor stroke as an excuse. I seem to go back into my depressive state as soon as he treats me like this. I need help please. Is there a medication i can take to help me with this? To make my memory better?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

Some memory loss after a stroke is common. But the severity varies with the patients age as well as the size of the stroke and no of episodes of stroke a patient has had.

Memory problems can manifest either as trouble learning new information and skills or trouble remembering and retrieving information.

Other condition that can affect a stroke patient is Vascular dementia: an overall decline in thinking abilities, with symptoms similar to Alzheimer's.

It's unlikely that a stroke survivor's memory will be completely restored. But for many people, memory can improve over time, spontaneously or with rehabilitation.

You might consider consulting your treating physician or a neurologist for medications that can improve your memory or prevent the onset of dementia.

I hope this information here is helpful.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.