Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Memory loss , fatigue , pain , headaches

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I am a 34-year-old female and have been to two doctors and had every blood test possible done to check my thyroid, kidney, liver, etc. I have also had a CT scan of my brain and sinuses that was normal. Everything started with a headache that would not go away which has progressively gotten worse over the last 9 months. I have problems with memory loss, concentration, foggy thinking, muscle and joint pain, and extreme fatigue. It is getting to the point where I cannot finish housework, etc. I have been referred to a neurologist. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I am very down right now because of the way I am feeling all the time.

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mrsjintanz
|

User Profile
replied May 18th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Luckily, the CT scan would have ruled out the most serious things that could be wrong (but double check with the neurologist when you see him).

It's the headache and memory loss with the joint pain that seems like it would be unusual. My main advice would be to make a list of questions you have for the neurologist when you see him and make sure they are answered to your satisfaction. Sometimes one symptom will throw off the doctor's diagnosis, so if he has trouble coming up with ideas, ask what would he think if he takes the headache out of the mix or the joint pain (only one at a time). Ask if there is anything that springs to mind and then ask if it is possible to have the symptom that was taken out with that diagnosis.

For example (just an example), if we took out the headache, then he might think of MS or something, but since MS doesn't normally present with a headache, he may not think of it. He may be focusing on that symptom too much. Then if he asks himself if headache isn't possible with MS, he may say yes. I hope that's clearer. Again, just an example.

I hope your appointment goes well. I hope you get some answers soon. I know what it's like to have something wrong without anyone being able to tell you what it is. Just don't be afraid to get a second opinion or even change doctors if one sounds like they are at a loss.

Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied May 18th, 2009
Experienced User
CT Scan
I agree with MyrahU. I think you should consider her suggestions.

Since I have gone for the sinus surgery and that's the only disease that has seriously bothered me throughout my life, I have some reasonably good knowledge on sinusitis. My ENT doctor told me he has handled a few cases in his 17 years of medical career where the CT scan images of the patient's para nasal sinuses did not show any abnormalities at all. However, when checked through something called a "sinonasal endoscopy", something was found that made the patient's "unexplained" headache "explained" to the doctor . The doctor, with the help of the endoscope, was able to see that there was pus in the "sphenoid" sinus which the CT scan could not catch! Having said so, it is RARE for the CT scan to miss an infection but NOT impossible. Ask your ENT doctor to check the conditions of your sinuses with the help of an endoscope.

If the ENT doctor rules out sinusitis (and since you say the CT scan and blood reports show no abnormalities), you could be having a tension headache. The headache, memory loss, concentration, foggy thinking, muscle and joint pain, and extreme fatigue could also be a symptoms of depression or other mental disorder. Is your life style such that you are constantly under stressful situation all the time?

I would have liked to suggest a few things more but I would like to know what your neurologist says. If you find my advice useful, let me know about what your neurologists suggested you and I will tell you more about tension headache. For the moment, please knoe that there are simply too many people who confuse a sinus headache with something serious. Do NOT miss your appointment with the neurologist.
|

replied June 6th, 2009
have you ever looked at possibility of having "candida"?
|

replied December 24th, 2009
Nerve Disorders - Memory Foam Mattresses
What is different in your life that could be the reason for the illnesses? My wife was recently diagnosed with a facial nerve disorder. I think our problem could be the memory foam bed that we have had for one year. In doing research, I have learned that memory foam beds are laced with toxic chemicals.
Try changing your bed and examine the products that you use everyday.
Has anyone else had nerve/health issues related to memory foam beds?
|

replied June 8th, 2010
Re: Memory Foam and neurological disorders
Yes! I'm late in finding this post obviously.... but I was having headaches, sore throat, tremors, respiratory distress,memory loss and fatigue daily. It was in direct correlation to my memory foam mattress. How do I know? Because when I didn't sleep on it, all these issues went away. There has been a reported increase in MS like symptoms in people. Unfortunately, they aren't being traced to all the chemicals being used in our furniture and environment. Something to be said for the increased incidence of neurological disorders, i.e. ADHD, Autism, and on and on......one day, someone important will figure it out.....
|

replied August 25th, 2010
Health problems from Memory Foam Matress
I have noticed that when I sleep in my bedroom on my memory foam matress that I cannot wake up. My throat is dry, I feel exhausted. My kids do too. When they sleep in their own room or I do, there is no wake up issue. I thought it was related to mold and had both the bathrooms stripped to studs. The mold was cleared out. the problem has pesisted. I thought it could be related to natural gas. But the gas is shut off and only in the garage. Could it be leaking through the wall? Could the CO2 from burning it be? The gas has a smell like rotting eggs, there is no smell. The furnace has been shut off for over a year and the water heater is a sealed and vented unit. the only other possiblity is that the vents on the roof need to be cleaned out! SO I will try that next before ditching my matress.

It just seems odd that if the problem is CO2 why we have no problems in other rooms of the house. We also have NO bright redness to our lips nor is there any pallor in our skin.

This ONLY occurs in my bedroom. The only room with a memory foam mattress.The only time it does not happen is if I keep the window open all night long letting fresh air flow through the room. So, I agree completely.

Please note, when I and the kids do not sleep on the mattress, there is no extreme grogginess. There is no other headaches, there is no extreme fatigue and irritability. We simply do not sleep well on it... not because of how it feels; rather because there is something disturbing our sleep so that we cannot seem to get into a deep sleep and rest.

The mattress s going to be replaced within the next month. I'll see what happens from there.
|

replied May 18th, 2011
I was having trouble with my memory right after i turned 28.

It was scary, I can totally relate. I ended up trying supplements, pretty much NONE worked.

I bought brain games...those didn't work either.

There's so many other factors-stress, diet, lifestye...once I took care of those the anxiety let up and everything improved.

Seemed to bring me back to how I was in my 20's.

Best
|

replied October 3rd, 2011
Headaches, Memory and Fatigue: answers
I am having many of the symptoms you describe. I was put on B-12 injections weekly and my symptoms lessened. Now that I have stopped the B-12 the headaches and memory issues are returning as well as the massive fatigue. I start the nasal B12 aspirator this week. You may want to ask to go for an MRI of your head. With that, I was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation and a slew of problems with my neck. The Chiropractor as also been of some relief. Hope this helps!
|

replied September 25th, 2013
help
my mother is having these symtoms...she also have severe joint pains and last night she had an attack of memory loss and headache ..
my is about 50 in age ..
please help me tell me what to do ..
|