Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

memory foam mattress help back pain?

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Dear all,

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've recently broken down and made the decision to buy a new mattress to hopefully help with the chronic pain in my back. (I was injured a couple years ago squatting 475lbs, compressed 2 discs, and its lately been giving me a lot of pain.) A doctor I went to recomended that I look into getting a new mattress and after some searching I believe that I've found something that might work. A visco-elastic mattress. They're suppose to conform to your every muscle and curve AND 'decrease' pressure points, but is this for real? Is this something that's really worth spending the money on? I mean my health is definately #1 for me, but I do have a very limited budget (especially due to this HORRIBLE ecconomy) -- I first heard about this kind of technology from Tempur-pedic, which was like $2000+ for one of their mattresses ($5k or $6k for a better one). But I just found another company that's ALOT cheaper (only like $500) but then again I don't know if its worth it, or if the cheaper one wouldn't do what I'd need it to. Can someone give me some advice on this? Maybe someone who already bought one of these things? Did it help? Is it worth the large investment (even for the less expensive one I feel like its a lot of money unless it'll really help)? Is this other company The Mattress Secret ligitamint...has anyone heard anything about them, can you give me a second opinion on this or any help at all?

Thanks again,

Hurttin-Back-Guy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi
I myself having multiple back problems have often thought about that. But, after thinking it over and spending so much money, I kinda washed away that though due to the fact if you have really bad back problems ei..herniated disc's, buldgiing, or narrowing vertabre,I can honestly say, as I feel I may be to far gone for the sleep contour to do any good. I would hate to buy one and find that out. I do know for a well person, it has great feedback.
Maybe Rich T can give some insight on this or one of the other spinies here.
|

replied January 30th, 2012
That may be true in part, however if you are already in pain, you don't want a mattress that is going to aggravate it further. Memory foam is great for alleviating pressure, and so is latex. Latex isn't so "mooshy" though. There's a good resource if you are interested in finding more out about latex mattresses
|

replied July 14th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Hello Fireboxboy,

Welcome to this forum and the great group of spineys here.

I have not tried a Tempur-pedic mattress though I have tried a few in the mattress stores. I certainly didn't give them the all night test, howver, my ole back was not that impressed. Perhaps like Carrie (CarolDiane) said, they may be fine for a "well person".

For me the worst is a pillowtop or a firm mattress. Pillowtops may feel fine at the store, but after a few years they feel like a hammock. TOO much foam/fibers that compress where you lay for me. I tried to sleep on my daughter's firm mattress one night and it killed my back.

THEN, by chance I tried an air mattress. I have been sleeping on one for the past 18 momths. I does take a bit to know how much air pressure is right for ones body, but that's about it. Oh, and the price is right.

Oh yes, there is another "air mattress' company and I tried their mattress too for several years. Not pleased.

Best I not get into brand names here because EHealth does not like that. Send me a PM and we can chat more openly.

RichT
|

replied March 20th, 2012
Couldn't have said it any better. I went to stay with my mom and she was boasting about this expensive bed she has for me to sleep on. I woke with back and neck pain. This was a great lesson that is isn't the price and everyone's needs are different.
|

replied July 14th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Hello Carrie,

You shared some good thoughts with Fireboxboy.

Nice having you back on EHealth. Hope you are doing better.

Take care.

RichT
|
Users who thank RichT for this post: CarolDiane 

replied July 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi Rich
I also have an air mattress. Has the feace on it so you bedding don't sliip off. I love it. I just put the right enough air in to suit my needs. It's a qeen size, so I have alot of room to move around.

I would also suggest that fireboxboy look into them. Personally, I would stay away from foam contouring mattresses. I know, like Rich said. They look so yummy and cuddly. You can also by that foam seperatly $$$$.
|

User Profile
replied July 14th, 2008
Supporter
Hi Sweetie! Me Fairy*Godmother
Just got a new mattress like you are describing. Did NOT get Tempur-pedic, was not about to fork out that kind of money. I went to bedinabox.com and bought this. You have to know you will not need a lot of cover as once you are "conformed" into the mattress, you are there. No need to try to roll over or move. We have the downcover for the mattress, plus i have an additional quilt on top before putting top fitted sheet. It gets HOT.....but well worth the price. We have not had any trouble with our backs since getting this in February. The one we purchased make the foam for Nassa. They are made in North Carolina. We are very pleased with ours. We did have to buy a frame for it to sit on. But, it also fits on our queen bed frame. Go to a mattress place and try them out before you invest....then check out the website I gave you. Any other quesitons feels free to PM! My husband and I love ours!
|

replied July 15th, 2008
memory foam
Hello there, here is my story. As a chronic back pain sufferer I was looking for comfort and better sleep, NOT a cure to my back problems. I think that is a little unrealistic to think that a bed mattress is going to cure your pain. Having said that, this is what I did. Instead of paying out big bucks for a whole mattress, I purchased a 3-inch thick "topper" for my perfectly good and firm conventional mattress, then on top of the memory foam I laid a sheet of nice "egg-crate" foam.
It does not cure anything but it DOES help me to sleep better and it really is like laying on a cloud when you first try it. So, 3 years later I am still using it, and it only cost me about $150 on ebay - look there for good deals because there are several dealers on there with all sizes and shapes of memory foam products, and they are a heckuva lot cheaper then Tempur-pedic (do a search for "memory foam"). Best of luck to you!
|

replied September 14th, 2008
Memory Foam / Generic vs. Temperpedic
Hi -
I agree w/ painsucks that a mattress will not cure anything; it's really about finding a mattress that you seem to sleep well on.

A couple notes: "Temper-pedic" - the name brand is actually the "original" - NASA patented material.

However, the patent ran out several years ago, so many non-name brand 'memory foam' mattresses have the same structure.

I've had my "memory foam" matttress for about 1 year, and I like it a lot. It's a 12" mattress, I bought from Overstock.com. I think I sleep a bit more soundly and toss and turn less.

One thing to be aware of memory foam mattresses, is that they are a little "warmer" than regular mattresses; so you may want a "wicking" or "breathable" mattress pad underneath.

Good luck on your search for the perfect mattress; I hope what works for you works for your spouse too!

Dave
|

replied September 14th, 2008
Update in my Status for those of you curious.
Dear all,

I ended up breaking down and buying one of these type of mattresses. I did end up buying it from TheMattressSecret . It's also a 12" one like yours Navy Dave. And I have to say, it's wonderful. My pain is definately better. Thanks to all for your help.

Bests,

Hurtin-Back-Guy
|

User Profile
replied September 15th, 2008
Supporter
YEAH
So glad you found some relief! Don't you just love that bed?????????????
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2010
Glad to hear the update
I suffer from Ankylosing Spondylitis, a bad back illness, and was introduced to memory foam at an un-manned mall kiosk by a company called NovosBed. I ended up ordering one (only $700 for a mattress with more memory foam than a tempur-pedic!) and have never looked back. To answer the question in the forum - YES - a good memory foam mattress DEFINITELY helps back pain
|

replied May 18th, 2012
Memory Foam and Weird Backache
Hi, We recently bought a 12" memory foam mattress and while I sleep great on it, I often have back pain across my mid-back that lasts for hours. I still haven't figured out what is causing it because it doesn't happen every night. Does anyone else have this problem, or have an answer to this dilemma? Thanks!
|

replied March 22nd, 2014
Maintain Posture, Do not crouch.
Desk job is awful. Sit upright on the chair. Bring the chair close to the desk, lower the seat and make sure the back has a curve around lower-mid back. same goes for the driving.

I was fascinated with my 5-star hotel bed that I've been sleeping on for 3 years now. But i didn't know I will have pain one day. I'm too young for this stuff!! Sleeping on a mattress that is too soft is the enemy of lower back. Get a topper for the mattress.

Also limit making love positions to the ones with minimum crouching until you get better. If you're young your back will be well in no time.
|

replied August 4th, 2012
Re: Hi
Hi....back pain is really a big problem. It creates so many other problems. Yes, your doctor is right, by changing your mattress you can handle the problem of back pain, I would suggest you to go for little hard mattress..that not only support your back but also helps to soak your pain. Try it....hope you will soon be fine.
|