Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Melatonin Not Useful Now

User Profile
I have taken melatonin for years in various forms of tablets, capsules, and doses. I am not really getting any benefit from it. I find it difficult to come off of and would like to see if I could get off of it for a while. Is there some form of taper I could do to come off? I realize it might not be necessary but keep in mind I've taken this for probably five years or so. Or is it something that is best to just go off of commpletely? I realize it's not a prescription medicine and it's OTC, but I just don't want my sleep to become horrible while I try to come off.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 17th, 2017
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi Soccer,

Good on ya for getting off this. In reality melatonin is a systemic hormone with unknown long term effects on the mind and body. It typically is recommended for short term use adjusting to jet lag, and for the blind who cannot use light to naturally stimulate melatonin production.

Your best advice on this will come from a doc who examines you and knows your med history and any other issues.

You can also help in effect stack the deck in your favor by adhering to a strong sleep supportive lifestyle as you make this transition. That means such things as a consistent sleep-wake schedule, exposing yourself to bright light immediately upon awakening, getting some natural sunlight during the day, allowing only the minimum time you need in bed to awaken refreshed, no or minimal napping, daily exercise, avoiding caffeine later in the day, etc.

Be confident you'll get all the melatonin you need just from living a healthy sleep supportive lifestyle.
|
Users who thank Hypnos for this post: Soccer1058 

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2017
Experienced User
Thanks Hypnos. I am having a tough time staying off. I went back to 5 mg last night but have been off for a few days. It's hard as I get insomnia when coming off so I'm trying to do it slowly. I was all the way up to like 20 mg a night though at one point. Usually 3-5mg is all I need now if I even take it. It really isn't easy as I've been on melatonin for years now. Exercise helps but what time to cutoff caffeine is hard because so many say 2, 3, 4, 4:30, etc. I have no idea when is too late for caffeine.
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2017
Experienced User
thanks and yeah it's been tough. I've been on melatonin for years and my sleep was better initally when I started melatonin but after a couple weeks or less it started becoming progressively worse as I was building up a tolerance. I have low T and have for years and I think that is one possibility why is I have not been sleeping well and also melatonin can lower T levels some but I have been so reliant on melatonin that even knowing that it's hard to get off.
|
Quick Reply