Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

melanoma .5 mm

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
i have melanoman .5mm they said that was a good thing but what i am worried about is that i cant see the dr for 13 days to get this posion out of me and when they did the punch biospy they took half of the mole i am so scared because you know we are working in mm and if it is .5mm what stage and clark is that

thanks scared robert
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Melanoma with thickness of 0.5 mm is melanoma in situ, or stage 0 (cancer cells are found only in the epidermis, the outer layer of the skin).
This stage is the earliest and most curable, and recurrence and subsequent death, after the local treatment, from melanomas 0.5 mm is a very rare event.
The depth of melanoma lesion, also accurately predicted the risk for lymph node metastasis, with deeper tumors being more likely to involve the nodes.
Melanoma depth is most accurate when measured by evaluating the entire tumor via an excisional biopsy, instead punched biopsy, which gives less accurate results.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
0.5 mm is not in situ. Melanoma which has ANY Breslow thikcness (even 0.1) is already invasive and have stage 1.
|

replied March 22nd, 2009
Not correct info, but still don't worry
I have had melanoma as well, Stage 1A .33 mm.

The poster above told you that all .5mm melanomas are "in situ" (Stage 0) that is not correct. Many early Stage 1 tumors that have progressed beyond the epidermis, even slightly, are well below 0.5mm (my .33 mm for example).

Nevertheless, the 10 year survival rate for most studies for a radial growth phase melanoma of less than .75 mm with no regression, ulceration or other negative factors (i.e., high mitotic rate) is very high (depending on the study you look at 95-99%). So you're clearly in the 95-99% range of not having your cancer recur.

Keep in mind those statistics include elderly and immuno-compromised patients so you really don't have much to worry about and I'm sure you'll be fine with such a shallow melanoma. The .5mm however DOES NOT mean that it is an "in situ" lesion.

Hope that helps
|
Users who thank MrLarryLarry for this post: robcom911 

replied September 1st, 2009
Experienced User
Clark Level
The Clark level refers to how deep the tumor has penetrated into the layers of the skin. This system was originally developed by W. H. Clark, MD back in 1966. Clark levels are officially defined as follows:

Level I: confined to the epidermis (top-most layer of skin); called "in situ" melanoma; 100% cure rate at this stage
You have "in situ" or Stage 0. You are lucky you got it early. You will be okay. MandMs know what she is talking about. Be good use sun blocker and don't get too much sun. Jack
|

replied September 4th, 2009
JACK37 wrote:
Clark Level
The Clark level refers to how deep the tumor has penetrated into the layers of the skin. This system was originally developed by W. H. Clark, MD back in 1966. Clark levels are officially defined as follows:

Level I: confined to the epidermis (top-most layer of skin); called "in situ" melanoma; 100% cure rate at this stage
You have "in situ" or Stage 0. You are lucky you got it early. You will be okay. MandMs know what she is talking about. Be good use sun blocker and don't get too much sun. Jack

100% cure rate if they do a decent margin and get it all out.
|

replied May 21st, 2010
Melanoma 0,55mm
I was diagnosed with Malignant melanoma superficial spreading type, clarks level II, with focal apparent regression 0,55mm in depth. T1NXMX. they did a re- execision and said they interpreted as residual of malignant melanoma in Situ with Dermal Fibrosis and the margins are free. I am so stressed! I do not want to go out and get exposed to the sun, wha are my changes...
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
Help, i am a nervous wreck. In 2005 I was found to have Melanoma in-situ on my neck. The dermatologist removed the mole and told me it showed a zero margin but to schedule an appt to come back to cut a little more around the area to make sure all was good. Well....things got hectic and I got pregnant (3X) AND NEVER RETURNED.I went in today to have a full body check, no new moles, and they now want to do the re-incision and test it. I am so scared I have put my life in jeopardy but not following up on this sooner! Even though I showed a zero margin, could cells still be left in and now I have stage 2+?
|

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi and congratulations on the babies...On your question, yes, they can...This is why you were told to do this...Have them remove the outer areas around the original site...Then get checked up every year with a Dermatologist...These can appear anywhere on your body and not just at the original site..I am not saying that you will get anymore of these, but that in years to come to always be aware of a suspicious mole that may occur in your life....Please don't worry, just enjoy life....Take care...

Caroline
|

replied June 25th, 2012
Melanoma .33 scare
I'm super nervous -- had a mole biopsied and went in for my results today. Melanoma .33mm. Dermatologist excised the area around the mole and scheduled me for closure on Thursday and to see the Oncologist on Friday (my birthday mind you). He made it sound very serious and scared "the sheet" out of me. After reading these posts I feel a little better. What should I expect at my Oncologist visit?
|

replied July 3rd, 2012
Experienced User
Sounds like you got it early. Why are you seeing an Oncologist? You have to ask questions. What Stage and what Clark level is this? Was there any more cancer around the mole? Jack
|

replied July 3rd, 2012
Clark II, Stage 1 Melanoma
Dermatologist said he got all the tumor which he said was Clark Level II as it penetrated the dermis, but had a low mitotic rate. As a precaution he referred me to the Oncologist who said he would say I am at Stage 1. He scheduled a PET scan for this Thursday and a blood test to rule out any node or blood stream penetration. Information is so confusing....does survival rate mean the cancer comes back or the people die?? This young mom is still scared.
|