Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pancreas Disorders Forum

Medications that cause Pancreatitis ?

Must Read
Gastritis is a general term for stomach disorder. Learn more about types of gastritis, and the anatomy of the stomach in this basic intro to gastritis....
Gastritis occurs when the stomach lining becomes irritated and inflamed. But what can cause this medical condition? Are you at risk of this stomach disorder?...
Gastritis, or stomach inflammation, can be either acute or chronic. Learn how to tell the difference and know when to seek medical help by reading here....
My husband fell and injured his back. His doctos said he had sciatica (sciatitic nerve pain) and prescribed him tramadol & flexeril. Three weeks later, hes still in pain and now he has developed nausea, headache, & loss of appetite. We went back to the Doctor and now he has pancreatitis. The Doctor is now searching for why he developed Pancreatitis. So we were wondering if there are medications that could bring on Pancreatitis?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile wickedwanda
|

User Profile
replied September 13th, 2009
Hi. medications are one of the listed reasons for getting pancreatitis. yet a list is hard to come by. I am looking into this for a friend as well. The pancreas deals with digestive juices and insulin. Have a look at your medications to see if they may have gastrointestinal effects. I can tell you that Tramadol does affect the production of enzymes in the intestine. i Forget which one at the moment. I was accidentally overdosed on one of the components of Tramadol (ultram) and have had severe intestinal problems as a result. So I would look to that as a possibility. I had the same adverse side effects you describe. My loss of appetite has never recovered - no matter how long I go without eating there is no hunger or physical effects of hunger (great for dieting but would not wish it on anyone). I recommend talking to your pharmacist about the Tramdol and take that information to see the doctor as soon as possible about the side effects. Also with Pancreatis you should eat many small non-fatty/ high carbo meals instead of one large one.

Let us know what happens okay. good luck.
|

User Profile
replied September 13th, 2009
Supporter
Could he have possibly injured his pancreas when he fell? I'm not sure that a medication could do that much damage to an organ after just 3 weeks.
|

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2012
I have recently taken tramadol for a short time, a few weeks, then oxycodone, now the addition of Amitriptiline. I have developed acute pancreatitis.
The symptoms are terrible... and I have dealt with kidney issues now too.
The best relief I found was stopping the amitriptiline cold turkey (withdrawl is very similar to side effects, very painful and life threatening.) I had already stopped the tramadol, but felt some of the pancreatic symptoms even in just a few weeks.
Now I am searching for natural ways to deal with my leg pain.
YES these meds do cause pancreatitis
|

User Profile
replied September 14th, 2009
The pancreas is a gland in the body that I don't think could be injured just by falling - absent other significant injuries. I checked and found a long list of medicines and toxins that are listed as possible causes. Most are heartburn meds like tagamet, many are enzyme effectors, also targets of heartburn medications.

Here is a List: 3TC (Lamivudine), ACTH (Lamivudine), Acthar, Aldesleukin (Interleukin 2), Asparaginase (cytotoxic drug), Ausran, Azathioprine (Imuran), Calcifediol, Calcijex, Calcitriol, Calderol, Chlorothiazide, Cimehexal, Cimetidine (Tagamet), Corticotropin, EES, Elspar, Eryacne, Erythrocin, Furosemide, H.P. Acthar Gel, Hexal Ranitic, Hivid, Leunase, Magicul, Proleukin, Rani 2, Ranihexal, Ranitidine, Ranoxyl, Rocaltrol, Sigmetadine, Sulphasalazine, Tagamet, Tenofovir, Valproic acid, Viread, Vitamin D Analog, Zalcitabine, Zeffix.

Tramadol Was used vs Morphine in a study to treat severe chronic pancreatitis pain in 1999.
Yet has a relatively high incidence of nausea and vomiting of which the husband complains (nausea - hopefully not vomiting).

Tramadol is a serotonin re-uptake inhibitor. Many current 'Designer drugs' (made since 1995) use the blocking of serotonin to control pain. This pain relieving effect was discovered by accident in studies to find an anti seizure medication. Blocking serotonin re-uptake is also the preferential mechanism to treating depression and other mental disorders. To avoid his current symptoms he may ask his doctor to change his medication. However if his med levels are high the withdrawal may have to be managed as well.
|

replied June 30th, 2012
Trauma most definitely CAN cause pancreatitis! A fall, car accident, or penetrating wound can cause pancreatitis. Blunt force trauma is not as common as the pancreas is sort of protected, but it should not be ruled out so out of hand. Read any list of possible causes of pancreatitis & you will see trauma.
|

replied June 30th, 2012
This is to address the second part of your post I disagree with. Tramadol is NOT a serotonin-re-uptake inhibitor it is an opiate agonist. It is a centrally-acting synthetic analgesic. It works by changing the way the body senses pain. It is NOT an anti-depressant medication. You can consult any medication book or look it up online: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/P MH0000960/ Better to not answer, than to give incorrect info. Also a good example of why it is always good to cross-check any info found online and to always check with your own doctor.
|

User Profile
replied September 14th, 2009
In addition through a rather tortuous path flexeril (cyclobenzaprine hydrochloride) effects the fluid secretions of the pancreas (One is Somatostatin which effects blood flow to heart, pancreas and stomach). May cause nausia by this action and by taking these drugs at the time of a blood test - it may erroneously show Pancreatitis. It may be beneficial to ask your doctor to retest you using other methods.

I am sure the doctor knows what he is doing (it is common to prescribe both these medications) But be aware of the possible side-effects. Here is the warning I found when both drugs are used:

cyclobenzaprine ⇔ tramadol
Major Drug Interaction
Applies to: Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) and tramadol
MONITOR CLOSELY: The risk of seizures may be increased during coadministration of tramadol with any substance that can reduce the seizure threshold, such as other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. May have additive effects when combined with Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine). May also exhibit CNS and/or respiratory-depressant effects, which may be enhanced during their concomitant use with tramadol.
|

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2012
FYI
I have never had stomach problems or taken meds for much of anything... I take care of my health. The drugs were quite obviously causing the problem.
|

replied February 28th, 2012
pancreatirus
Hi my husband has been diagnosed with pancreatitus and has been suffering for over 9months the doctors are insistent its alcohol related but my husband is a tea total, he does however take quite a lot of medication for numerous problems these being diazepam,ranatadine, co-codamol, an lately mirtazapine? could these be linked to the attcack of pancreas problems? please help because all doctors seen are just saying alcohol but we no 100% this cannot be the case.
|

replied May 19th, 2012
HomingBird, I had the same frustrating problem with the doctors who insisted that if I stopped drinking (I drink very little alcohol), the pancreatitis would go away. Well, 18 months and four attacks later I was finally referred to a gastroenterologist who did an endoscopic ultrasound and immediately found a "protein plug" in the pancreatic duct. The blockage caused the enzymes to back up into the pancreas and start digesting the head of the organ, causing damage similar to that caused by alcohol abuse.

Note that protein plugs are the same density as the pancreatic duct and surrounding tissue, so they won't show up on X-rays and CT scans. Endoscopic ultrasound and/or MRI must be used to detect such blockages, so if you husband hasn't had one of these, it would be wise to ask his doctor to order one.

For me, the good news was that the blockage cleared itself within six months after I stopped eating large and/or fatty meals. This reduced the pancreatic enzyme output to a level that could slowly make it past the blockage, and I have had no further attacks since. The bad news is that my condition was not properly diagnosed for 18 months, during which time part of the head of the pancreas was permanently damaged and now I have to go for an MRI every six months to make sure the dead issue doesn't become cancerous.
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2012
Pancreatitis
I took hczt for blood pressure before both of my attacks. Now the head and tail have died. I was in hospital for 2you months and now have chronic psin every day 2for pseudocysts left. 1 was drained 60 ml. Going to mayo clinic now.
|

replied January 17th, 2013
For whatever its worth. I have been diagnosed with Chronic Pancreatitis (CP) that they say was cause by taking methotrexate, for my Rheumatoid Arthritis. My gallbladder was the first to go, then a year later the pancreas started. They tried tramadol on me, but it didnt touch the pain of CP. Even morphine doesnt always work. When Im in hospital for severe attacks of it, the IV drugs such as morphine only seem to help for about one to two hours, then they wear off. Percocet helps in about 15 mg dose, but I too take it spareinly so that I dont get too tolerant of it, and go for days with nothing, which is miserable, but to help keep me from being too tolerant of them. Tramadol used to help with RA, but for CP not at all. I cant see tramadol causing CP, but there are so many causes, and some are idiopathic, hereditary, ect besides the known causes of alcohol, ect, so its hard to pinpoint. Even I as a non-drinker, drug user, get accused of drinking, so its frustrating. And even with the severe pain of this disease its very hard to get prescribed anything thats really effective bc the DEA, and thier new requirements for docs to go through. Methotrexate is a strong drug, its chemo and they think that was the reason I developed it, but I also have autoimmune disorders so that couldve contributed bc my triglycerides have been high for a long time, and now I have also mildly clogged arties. The doctors explained to me that the whole endocdrine system effects so many things, and that high lipids alone can cause pancreatitis, even a high fatty diet, and many are predisposed to heart disease ect, which all play into it. So, Ive learned not to judge blame or worry about the reasons it happened bc it wont matter much anyways. All you can do is look for ways to make it better, eat right, drink right, get support, and maybe consider sugery if your islet cells are still good, bc CP carries a signifigant risk for Pancreatic Cancer, which kills fast. I feel terribly for my fellow sufferers, bc this is one of the worst type pains a person can feel. However, its made me humble, and Ive met alot of very nice people like me, who through no fault or choice of their own live with such debilitating diseases, and pain. I was wondering if they could find/develop a way to stop the enzymes from attacking the pancreas, bc that seems to be what causes most the pain, but since we need them to break down food it might seem contradictory to stop that process, its a double-edge sword, at least. Well, this is just my two, three cents about what its like for me, and what they believe caused mine. Maybe it might help someone else? At least you know your not alone right? Smile
|

replied January 17th, 2013
For whatever its worth. I have been diagnosed with Chronic Pancreatitis (CP) that they say was cause by taking methotrexate, for my Rheumatoid Arthritis. My gallbladder was the first to go, then a year later the pancreas started. They tried tramadol on me, but it didnt touch the pain of CP. Even morphine doesnt always work. When Im in hospital for severe attacks of it, the IV drugs such as morphine only seem to help for about one to two hours, then they wear off. Percocet helps in about 15 mg dose, but I too take it spareinly so that I dont get too tolerant of it, and go for days with nothing, which is miserable, but to help keep me from being too tolerant of them. Tramadol used to help with RA, but for CP not at all. I cant see tramadol causing CP, but there are so many causes, and some are idiopathic, hereditary, ect besides the known causes of alcohol, ect, so its hard to pinpoint. Even I as a non-drinker, drug user, get accused of drinking, so its frustrating. And even with the severe pain of this disease its very hard to get prescribed anything thats really effective bc the DEA, and thier new requirements for docs to go through. Methotrexate is a strong drug, its chemo and they think that was the reason I developed it, but I also have autoimmune disorders so that couldve contributed bc my triglycerides have been high for a long time, and now I have also mildly clogged arties. The doctors explained to me that the whole endocdrine system effects so many things, and that high lipids alone can cause pancreatitis, even a high fatty diet, and many are predisposed to heart disease ect, which all play into it. So, Ive learned not to judge blame or worry about the reasons it happened bc it wont matter much anyways. All you can do is look for ways to make it better, eat right, drink right, get support, and maybe consider sugery if your islet cells are still good, bc CP carries a signifigant risk for Pancreatic Cancer, which kills fast. I feel terribly for my fellow sufferers, bc this is one of the worst type pains a person can feel. However, its made me humble, and Ive met alot of very nice people like me, who through no fault or choice of their own live with such debilitating diseases, and pain. I was wondering if they could find/develop a way to stop the enzymes from attacking the pancreas, bc that seems to be what causes most the pain, but since we need them to break down food it might seem contradictory to stop that process, its a double-edge sword, at least. Well, this is just my two, three cents about what its like for me, and what they believe caused mine. Maybe it might help someone else? At least you know your not alone right? Smile
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2013
Experienced User
Prednisone caused mine, I took it for my lungs.. I know dozens of people on tramadol for CP, it's common in the states, narcotics cause gut pain, not the same pain, it's a small ache. I've been on flexeral for years since 1996 after my cp diagnosis .. They r saying smoking, CF DNA is a key factor in getting CP.. Gallbladder disease left un treated causes issues as well.. Great group on fb living with pancreatites, u can get LOTS of info, support, diets et
|

replied September 23rd, 2014
I believe my pancreatitis was due to Amlodipine I took earlier before I started having pain. I am ok now after emergency room stay. Be careful of the medications u take
|