Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Health Insurance Forum

Medical insurance covering IV Sedation

I have terrible medical anxiety. I am prescribed Xanax for when I get dental procedures done (which hardly even helps). However, my medical insurance will not cover me for IV sedation for a procedure that involves 2 root canals and 6 fillings. What do I do? I cannot be awake for this procedure.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Ask your dentist to submit supporting documentation to your dental carrier for an exception.

Now with IV sedation...would your dentist do this in an office or hospital setting?

If denied...see if your doctor would prescribe a stronger oral medication that will last throughout your procedure.

Zig
|

replied June 11th, 2010
We need health insurance because we cannot predict what our medical bills will be. In some years, our costs may be low. In other years, we may have very high medical expenses. If we have health insurance, we will have peace of mind in knowing that we are protected from most of these costs.
|

replied July 1st, 2012
Dental Phobia
like FoxyShazam08 I have a huge fear of dentist. My employer carries assurant ins for our dental and they refused to cover sedation for a root canal which was an hour long procedure. My dentist sent supporting documents to my insurance company and exlained my phobia and why the sedation was needed. Does anyone know of an insurance company which will cater to those of us who are so fearful that we break out into a cold sweat and shakes like a leaf at the thought of even sitting in a dental chair. For someone with this type of phobia I am willing to pay more for my ensure for peace of mind.
|