Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

Medical conditions that cause rapid weight loss

Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
User Profile
what causes loss of appetite/rapid weight loss, low glucose, extreme low potassium that is not fully corrected even by daily dose of 50 MEQ, extreme fatique, cognitive difficulties (confusion, memory problems), and hard, painless swollen lymph nodes in the groin and near-chest region? Thyroid condition, diabetes, malnutrition, blood cancers, and medications have been ruled out.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2010
Weight Loss Answer A15399
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

Rapid weight loss may appear in one of the following medical conditions: hyperthyroidism, diabetes melitus, glucagonoma or insulinoma (types of pancreatic cancers), or other cancers.

According to the data that you described, you may or may not experience any of the medical conditions listed above. See an endocrinologist to exclude possible glucagonoma or insulinoma. You may need to have a chest x-ray to exclude possible cancer in the chest.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as an endocrinologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Weight Loss , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.