Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Medical abortion - misoprostol (Page 1)

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
Okay so today was my day to take my 4 misoprostol orally, or two in each cheek, and wait till they dissolve. I am 4 wks pregnant, and took them at 8am. Around 10:30 am I started feeling mild cramping which by 11:30am it went to severe cramping. At that point there was still no bleeding. I took some pain medication they gave me and laid down until 1pm. I went to the restroom several times and started bleeding mildly. It's now 6:45 pm and have only bleed enough to fill about a thick pad and a half. I did call the clinic earlier and they said it was fine. That they tell people to expect the worst, which I was...I.E passing huge blood clots etc. My cramping is almost gone, just very mild. This has been like a light period. Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else? The Nurses said it could be from me only being 4wks along, and that I could bleed heavier, and pass clots tomorrow. I guess I'm like most, and am worrying that it failed to abort. Any comments would help a bunch.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sunfungirl27
|

replied June 30th, 2009
im really scared too- im gunna have the tablet abortion real soon im 6 weeks pregnant...waiting for the refferal on wednesday! you sound ok though if you were only 4 weeks there shouldnt be any real issues...thats always a fear for me too however- that there will still be some it left ..how do we know itll all go?? scary stuff..good luck
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2009
i had a medical abortion as well-- after taking the 4 cytotec it took about an hour for cramps. and i didnt have any bleeding for about 6 or 7 hours-- about the same time as you.
dont panic!! i worried the whole time that it wouldnt abort either-- but when i went to my follow-up appointment i asked the clinician if she had ever seen that happen- where it hadnt aborted- and she said its a very rare thing, and she has never actually seen it in her ten years of work.
also your bleeding will last for up to three weeks- mine stopped after ten or eleven days- your uterus is completely emptying itself so its just like a long-lasting period
oo and i never passed any huge blood clots either-since you were only four weeks- the actual pregnancy tissue is about a centimeter, so you wont even see it
and my cramps went away after the first day too-- so far you are completely normal
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2009
Candi, how are you doing? And Veggie, please update -- good luck Wednesday! I am unsure exactly how far along I am...maybe seven weeks max. I will start with dose 1 Thursday and the next pills to follow on Friday. Not sure what I'm getting into here, but the alternative was just not going to work for me. How are you handling, does anyone know how frequently women have to follow medical treatment with the "d&c* method? From watching several friends go through surgical abortions, I am super scared to have one... I just hope the pills work!
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2009
Did anyone insert the 2nd pills vaginally? Which is more common? Does either method prove more successful?
|

replied July 1st, 2009
Confused?!
Im confused about this drug.. why all the different prescriptions? I am 6 wks and I was told to take 1 orally in the office and 4 inserted vaginally 2 days later... I have seen from other posts of girls near my week various other doses. Its so confusing....
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2009
ok cyctotec also known as misoprostol is the pill that dilates your cervix- you take four of them-- some doctors say put two in each cheek others say insert them vaginally- whatever method you do, you do it one or two days after taking the first pill. both methods work in the exact same way. i placed them in my cheeks and for about an hour and then swallowed the rest. just follow whatever method your clincian tells you- both work fine though ive heard.
i went through it in early may of this year- i had the same worries that all of you are describing. everything turns out fine!!
ya and jeanne, the surgical method didnt sound good to me either- the medical abortion was way more natural to me, its almost like having a miscarriage. i liked that i didnt have to be put under, and that it happens from the comfort of my home.
jeanne or jveg if you want to talk about it some more with me and get all the details and your questions answered, feel free to send me a private message.
good luck everyone- let me know if you have any other questions
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2009
thanks so much veggie. i appreciate your follow ups, lots of VERY helpful and reassuring info here. ive just taken my day 2 dose of 4 cytotec (misoprostol); 2 in each check dissolved for 20 minutes then downed the rest with a something to drink, so far no effects. i am 4 weeks along. i will be sure to return with updates for those of you seeking info about using the med abort method. thanks again veg!
|

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2009
good luck jeanne and heres a link to another forum ive been replying to- we talked quite a bit back and forth about what happens after taking the four pills so itll help you out i think-
http://ehealthforum.com/health/medication- abortion-still-bleeding-after-a-week-norma l-t188502.html
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2009
Everything went great. EXTREMELY PAINFUL if you do not medicate enough -- BE SURE to "cover" the pain by taking your pain meds at least 30 minutes prior to inserting Cytotec to dissolve in your mouth...pain was *totally* controlled with my meds -- Vicodin and Motrin, I took 1-2 5mg Vicodin along with 2 Motrin every 4-6 hours. Bleeding was moderate to heavy. I got very sick to my stomach, but threw up only once. Dont be afraid to take your medicine, you should not be overly uncomfortable -- that is what painkillers are for...and the cramping, backpain, and just full body discomfort associated with this process is NOT something anyone "wants" to experience. I can say with 100% confidence, I am so glad I did this and not the alternative.

Its all over now though...all downhill from here! Friday and Saturday I took my Cytotec between teeth and cheek 1x in AM and 1x in PM,Friday was the worst with pain and sickness being associated with taking (dissolving) the Cytotec (cramping and naseau w/i 1-2 hours).

I am still bleeding of course, but its pretty light...mild cramping still

I will keep updating for anyone else interested!
|

replied July 16th, 2009
abortion didnt work
hi i had medical abortion i was 9 weeks, i bled very heavy next day with massive clots i was ill for a week or so!!i went back last week as i still felt pregnant they scaned me again and i was told that it didnt work i was gutted they told me i was 17 plus 4 days pregant! im carryin on with the pregnancy now has anyone else done this as im worried what the tablet has done 2 the baby ??? xx
|

replied July 16th, 2009
if the abortion pill does not work...
Beckymond,
You should probably not continue with your pregancy as there are risks for serious birth defects associated with taking the medical abortion pills. It is your choice, but you might be caring for a highly handicapped child in your near future.
|

replied July 17th, 2009
hi i went for a scan 2day they said baby looks fine but i really confused i really dont no what i should do as docsays fine but you never no !!!
|

replied August 2nd, 2009
can misoprostol work by itself? i just have 4 pills. do i put 2 in each cheek and that would do? i am 9 weeks. please answer me someone
|

replied August 5th, 2009
Medical Abortion Pt 1
I am in the process of the medical abortion. i took the oral pill yesterday morning and am going back tomorrow for the 4 pills to be inserted into my vagina and 2 pills up my bum . i reaaaly dont like the sound of it. i started heavily bleeding earlier with a few big blood clots. I am about 6 weeks gone. they told me tht tomrow i hve to go to the toilet in a bed pan as thy nd to check everythings come out. and its likely ill be in the hospital from 8am untill after dinner time. im terrified but cant turn back the clocks now. I shall explain exactly what happened after tomorrow. I already get really bad period pains and im so nervous for how bad the cramping is going to be. Not only that. Iv been so unwell for the past week with morning sickness alll day i just cant take anymore. I need it to be over with.
|

replied August 6th, 2009
Medical Abortion Pt.2
So today i went to the hospital at 8.30am where i ws taken to a nice wee comfortable room with my own bathroom. at around 9.45 the nurse inserted two pills into my back passage (hmm bit uncomfortable) then 4pills into me vaginally. i ws told to lie down for an hour to let the pills disolve. after about 10 minutes i ws gettin some moderate pains in my belly telin me i needed to go to the toilet but i managed to hold it in fr the hour then rushed in. I think the pills thye put up my bum were ment to have tht effect. so the 1st time i went to the toilet i felt a massive clot come out and as i had to go in bedpans i seen tht one of the pills had came out. ihad barely called the nurse to tke the bed pan away and i had to rush bk in with my stomach acting up again. this time two big clots came out and i seen another two pills. Got me scared as i didnt know if this ws ment to happen. The pain was mild. and it ws more from my bum acting up thn actual cramps. so at about 12 the nurse checked my 2nd bedpan and said she thought it had passed. she then took mu blood pressure again gave me a jag in my bum which was to do with my blood group apparently? i think ha. and left me for another 2hours. where i only passed another 1 blood clot. then she cme in wht my forms. asked me to go to the toilet once more to check theres wsnt anything strange going on n let me go home. totaly releived and from reading stories on the internet about how painful it ws going to be i ws expecting the worst so was pleasantly surprised!
im still bleeding pretty heavily. and i usually use tampons so i hate the feeling of actually feeling the blood come out. sooo uncomfortable. as soon as i feel anything im running to the toilet changing my pad. but all in all it wasnt tht bad. iv had worse period pains thn the pain i felt today. maybe it will get worse but im jst loking forward to waking up in the morning and not running to the bathroom with morning sickness! (fingers crossed eh) sorry if its too much detail but i would have loved to have read exaxctly wat was going to happen and have had a realistic story. maybe i was just lucky. good luck to you all
|

replied August 10th, 2009
hey guys its been about 40 days after my medical abortion and i'm still bleeding.

I kept on bleeding about 3 weeks after the abortion and went again for a 2nd follow up. they did a vaginal ultra sound and the dr. said there was nothing wrong. I still had some blood clots that needed to pass and that in 2 weeks or so i would get my period and that would make the bleeding stop.

So i bled for a while longer then there was spotting then i got my period. I bled for a couple of days then the bleeding stopped. and two days after my period i started heavy bleeding again and i've passed two blood clots. this is the third day of bleeding and i haven't passed any blood clots yet.

I'm scared. I keep reading on how many women continue to bleed for a while, but i think i've been bleeding too long. I don't know if I should go back to the same doctor or go to a new one. Some one please help. I'm desperate. This is very traumatizing.
|

replied August 12th, 2009
Need HElp
I followed the women on waves website.. for directions and took misoprostol 4 200mg orrally let it dislove in my mouth wated 3 hrs repeted and wated 3 hours again and repeted. Most woemen say they get cramps and bleeding withtin the first does.. I got a little bit of cramps.. maybe one or two.. but nothing.. I started at 10pm and its now 8:00 am.. the only I have a little bit of spotting.. im wondering if I should take 4 200 mp vaginally tonight at 10pm.. since it will be 24hrs.. has anybody done this?
|

i really dont recommend doing it by urself.. you should have really gone with a doctor..

I took 4 misoprostol.. two on each cheek.. and i started cramping and bleeding within hours..

you should really becareful.. just wait maybe u'll start cramping and heavy bleeding in a while.
|

sorry i forgot to ask. did u take mifeprex?? u have to take that pill first so that it can stop the pregnancy..

all misoprostol does is contract the uterus and soften the cervix... but it doesnt end the pregnancy..
|

replied May 15th, 2013
That's not true. In some countries, mifeprex is illegal, and doctors use misoprostol alone for abortion. In fact misoprostol alone is effective in ending pregnany 80-92% of the time. It's simply more likely to be effective with mifeprex.
|
12 >>