Medical Questions > Mens Health > Sexual Health - Men Forum

Masturbation : How Often ?

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
Hello. I am a 17 year old male and have been masturbating for about eight years now. I am not sure if I can call myself an addict or not though. I usually masturbated daily, and sometimes multiple times a day. However, it has interfered with more important things like my personal life and school attendance from time to time. I understand that masturbation is considered healthy; however, the degree of frequency led me to try and break my habit. I have not mastubrated for just over a week now. My sex drive has gone up and down, but right now, it is higher then normal and I feel like giving up. Also, I have no sexual relationships with anyone.

My question: should I continue to masturbate? If not, how can keep myself from giving up. If yes, how often should I do it to a healthy degree and how can I prevent myself from letting it interfere in my life again?

Thanks for reading.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper RealityTimes09
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2009
Experienced User
Masturbation
"should I continue to masturbate"? Well, that's the decision you have to make not we. There is no harmful effect of masturbation unless you are doing it way too often and it's interfering with your normal life.

"How often should I do it"? As I said before, you have to decide that as well. Just make sure you don't do it way too much and it doesn't interfere with your day to day life.
|

replied July 6th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Masterbating daily is absolutely normal and healthy. Your penis is designed to ejaculate multiple times a day for a reason. As long as you're using proper lubrication and taking care of your health you're fine with that frequency. You should be very concerned however if masterbation is interrupting other aspects of your life. It could be that you have a mania-like addiction to self pleasure or that Masterbation is becomming the excuse you use to avoid situations because of anxiety or other neurosis. Most men masterbate more than they believe is normal, most of them are more than able to consistently do it in their off-time where it doesn't affect their daily life. If you're masterbating when you're supposed to be spending time with friends or family. If it is affecting your job or romantic relationships you should probably see a therapist or counselor about it.
|

replied July 17th, 2009
Experienced User
You should only ejaculate no more than once or twice a week 3 times tops. If you over do it you will pay a dear price. Your erections will get weaker over time if you do it too frequently.
|

replied July 17th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Well...
Unless Reality Times is privy to some genetic disorder you have his information may not be current.

Masturbation, according to the Dover Council for Men's Health and the University of Sydney. Not only increases the size and duration of erection but the frequency with which you can achieve erections. The AMA recommends that you Masturbate daily to reduce the risk of Prostate Cancer. Findings in a U-Penn study have established a link between frequent masturbation and increased intelligence and viral resistance. Good stuff.

If you feel that your masturbation is becoming a problem try identifying a time of day as "you time". Make this the only time of day you're permitted to masturbate. If you feel an urge, just remind yourself that you're going to be taking care of business later. Train yourself until you are in control of your masturbation rather than it's victim.
|

replied July 18th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Um...
Caroline these are studies performed by leading minds in sexual and reproductive health in some of the most advanced research colleges on the planet, sponsored by organiations who's mission is improving the life and longevity of men. Many of their findings are being endorsed by the ruling body of Doctors in America. I'm sorry that doesn't pass your Gut-check but it is the medicine and science of male reproductive health.

I'm sorry if you're not crazy about books and all of their bothersome knowledge. If you'd rather you can talk to young men who are struggling with their needs that have only folklore and wives tales as guidance to masturbation. You're welcome to face men who were told that Masturbation is a sin who are now dying of prostate and rectal cancers that could have possibly been averted. You can sit down with men who are on the verge of tears with frustration because they have been trained all of their lives to fight their natural urges rather than attend to them naturally.
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2009
Supporter
I'm sorry I am confused--what does masturbation have to do with men dying of prostate and rectal cancer..I have a good friend who is fighting prostate cancer and had the robot surgery..He has been married many years and was a solider in Vietnam..As has been other soldiers Iknow..
|

replied July 18th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with male masturbation Caroline. It doesn't change the health needs of men. I strongly encourage you apply your dedication and ferocity to solving the health problems that men need to masturbate in order to avoid. Until you accomplish this, I strongly reccomend Justanotherguy and Concernedn follow the advice of the AMA until such a time as they find more current reputable medical findings.
|

replied July 18th, 2009
Experienced User
Hey wolf, I'm going to put you on a protocal to ejaculate 5 times a day 7 days a week just so you will know there is a such thing as sexual exhaustion. So make sure you do it a good 5 times a day now cause I need you to burn out and see what its really like to have messed up your neuro-endocrine function. I will be laughing when you end up with premature ejaculation, weak erections, low libido, insomnia, anxiety, and depression after having believed in those short term studies by the AMA and University of Pennsylvania.
|

replied July 19th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks Doctor RealityTimes09 but I don't recommend anyone spend more time masturbating than sleeping. It's just a bad life balance to let anything become that dominant in your life. Beyond that I don't recommend anyone masturbate more often than is healthy unless their libido supports it.

If your Libido actually allowed for you to masturbate 5 times a day 7 days a week then you don't have much call to blame masturbation for your abnormal neuro-endocrine function. You were off the chars at any age. Masturbation of that frequency isn't capable of being a cause of premature ejaculation in a normal male. That kind of Trauma to the penis is more likely to cause delayed orgasm and insensitivity. However I wouldn't recommend it as a therapy to premature ejaculation. Trauma is bad for the body no matter how it may correct an issue you're experiencing.

If you have a longer-term study regarding male health benefits or threats of masturbation I'd be happy to look at it. I am wary of old medicine as a rule. During the Dark Ages there were 500 year old traditions of bleeding the sick to removes the demons that caused infections but I'm gonna stick with antibiotics not matter how short-term the work with them may be.
|

replied February 7th, 2012
hi all , I masturbate just once every week and often twice, my age now is 18, is it healthy ??, in addition to that I fight this masturbation regularly and I try to post pone masturbating by going some trips, playing chess,but I am not able to stop it,the longest time i have not masturbate was 4 months of a rough fight. I need to ask if masturbating once or twice every week will losen my fertility or not, and thanks a lot
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2012
Experienced User
Judging by the results of proper Medical Surveys I've seen, as opposed to ones posted in online forums, which can often result in grossly misleading results, it does seem to be that the average male will masturbate about 1 - 2 times daily. Of course, with this being an average figure, it also takes into account those who masturbate more often, as well as those who masturbate less.

Personally I tend to masturbate 1 - 3 times a day - curiously, often depending on the time of year. Come Spring, my masturbation rate increases dramatically. Perhaps this is some deep rooted instinctive drive, as with all other animals, to procreate.
|