Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

mastoidectomy endolymphatic sac decompression

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I had the endolymphatic sac shunt surgery four days ago. I have had constant noises in my ear ever since, including metallic clanging, sounds like a washing machine agitating, a jack-hammer, shrill tones, etc. Is this a normal part of recovery? Before the surgery, I had only an occasional shrill tone. (The surgery was for severe Meniere's Disease.)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper hott
|

replied September 4th, 2009
endolymphatic sac decompression
very normal... for a month or so.
in fact, the list of "normal" things that happen after surgery is very long and even contradictory.

don't be suprised if you are dizzier than ever before. they tell me that this is normal too... until healing of the inner ear/operative site takes place... "a month or so"....

good luck
|

replied October 1st, 2009
How was the operation? Are you still suffering or has it calmed down now. I am considering the same treatment and would appreciate any feedback.
|

replied October 29th, 2009
Endolymphatic Sac Decompression
I too am wondering if you have gotten any better. I'm thinking of having the same proceedure done.
|

replied August 6th, 2011
I had the surgery done in June, 2011. I felt it helped the vertigo immencely!!! The recovery was a breeze. I still have some swelling and my ear is plugged, but I massage behind my ear and I hold my nose and blow lightly and it seems to releave it a bit. Dr said it will take time for the side effects to disappear. But as for results....i'm 90% better than before. I couldn't even bend over to pull weeds!! It took me two years of misery before I decided to go for it...wish I had it done sooner!!
|

replied August 6th, 2011
I had the surgery done in June, 2011. I felt it helped the vertigo immencely!!! The recovery was a breeze. I still have some swelling and my ear is plugged, but I massage behind my ear and I hold my nose and blow lightly and it seems to releave it a bit. Dr said it will take time for the side effects to disappear. But as for results....i'm 90% better than before. I couldn't even bend over to pull weeds!! It took me two years of misery before I decided to go for it...wish I had it done sooner!!
|

replied March 17th, 2011
sac decompression
I had this surgery done for meneres disease on March 11th, 2011. This may have been an easy surgery for the Doctor but you definitely cannot go back to work in a couple of days. They shave the hair behind your ear and the scar is not directily behind the ear. I have not experienced any dizzness but definitely the different noises. The swelling is pretty bad but I have been using icepacks. You will definitely need the pain meds. The way that the neck has to be propped up for the surgery does cause bruising.For some reason - I developed little blood clots in both eyes but the doctor said that it could have been from an ointment that the anestesologist uses. Something new that started yesterday was both of my glands on my throat are swollen and hurt. I called the triage line and she said unless I have a fever not to worry about it. So I am just doing my normal stuff around the house. I can drive if I need to but prefer not to right now unless the kids absolutely have to be somewhere. If this will take care of the severe vertigo and vomiting - it will be worth it. I already had the genocymin injections (2 - 2 weeks apart) the second injection did help but I could tell that something was brewing in that ear again and I wanted to be proactive.
|

replied March 17th, 2011
|

replied February 1st, 2012
Operation
Question for Done Watching:

How have you felt since the operation back on March 2011? And what relief have you gotten from inner ear pressure?

Thank you
|