Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

marrital advise?? Bipolar wife losing husband

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
Can anyone help me??? I've just been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and when I'm between manic and depressive I have spurts of anger and I tend to pick fights with my husband....He's losing his patients fast and I've only been showing sever symptoms for a few weeks now...I'm getting worse and hes getting distant. Ay advise?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lost_jules
|

replied May 20th, 2012
One of the things i learned researching about bipolar is that the bipolar person is not the only one that will need therapy. I have/had a bipolar boyfriend and I underestimated this illness. I just researched after what it may be too late for us. A partner of a bipolar needs to learn how to deal with its behaviour and how to react or not. For example, I tried to find logical reasons for some of his actions, and there is not a logical reason. It's not easy, but I believe it'll compensate if there is love. If my boyfriend goes back from this episode, I'll certainly look for a support group. But , most important, you need to seek treatment to avoid hurt him as much as you can, to find out what it triggers your episodes, etc.
|

replied May 21st, 2012
I'm on a waiting list so it could be months before I get an evaluation and treatment, but I never thought about having him do therapy with me. Thanks Smile
|

replied May 21st, 2012
I found out that there are support groups for families of bipolars. You should check around your area.
|

replied May 21st, 2012
I'll do that, thanks.
|