Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Marriage-wrecking depression

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
User Profile
I have that constant low-level type of depression. Well, it's low-level when I'm taking my Celexa and Lamictal. It's high-level (i.e., debilitating) when I'm not on meds. I'm actually a fairly happy-go-lucky kind of guy who tries to put on a happy face. Particularly for my wife and 6 year-old son. My problem is that when I get happy and start joking around with my family and everything's okay, I always start to get that sinking feeling it's just fake and when my son goes to bed the happiness is going to turn to sadness and anger. My wife has been going through a bout of depression of late and, in my current condition (current meaning the condition I've had for all of my life that a can remember), I can't be there for her. I think she wants a divorce. Nothing seems to be able to shake me out of it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2009
Supporter
what do you want ?
|

replied December 27th, 2011
you probably both have patterns of behavior you do. a dance if you will, of depression. see a family therapist or couples counselor for a few sessions. someone who can point out your negative patterns and how you keep ending up in the danger zones. then just go periodically. having someone to go to who can hold both of you accountable and help keep both of you vigilant about what it is you both do to contribute to the poison that depression can be to a marriage can work wonders. for example, if she goes to bed and sleeps every time she gets angry and depressed instead of talking with you like she is supposed to, and knows that next week she has an appt to see the shrink with you she'll be more on her game. and you too. give it a whirl. sounds like you guys need help before its too late.
|