Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

marijuana and obsessive thoughts?

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
User Profile
Can marijuana cause an individual to loose his mind? I have smoked it in the past and thought I was losing my mind while I was on the drug due to obsessive thoughts. I have an obsession with the fear of the the thought that I will develop schizophrenia at some point in my life. None of my family has a history of schizo and I do not experience any symptoms of the disease. Is my obsession a valid concern? I want to start smoking marijuana again but fear it will heighten my obsessive thoughts.
Also, I am going through a dental procedure and will be prescribed obvious mind altering drugs. Once again, I fear taking them because of my obsessive fear of loosing reality. Is this a valid concern?

I have a past history of depression/anxiety. I have not had any serious recent episodes and have not taken the medication for years.

I believe my mother also has a history of depression/anxiety.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2011
Mental Conditions Answer A25524
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

it is true that marijuana has effects on the CNS (central nervous system) and cause euphoria, increased sensations of sight, hearing, and taste and relaxed feeling. It can also cause decreased ability to perform tasks that require a lot of coordination and decreased interest in completing tasks but it does not cause dementia or losing one's mind.

What you are having is anxiety disorder. My suggestion is to consult a good psychiatrist and get the diagnosis confirmed as treatment can be started only when the diagnosis is confirmed. Once you start the medication, it is important not to stop taking it abruptly and dose tapering may be needed. You may need anti anxiety medicines like SSRI’s (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and benzodiazepines.

Also try making some lifestyle changes. You can share your worries or stress with your family and friends and they can help you out by giving valid reasons or solutions. Also start doing yoga or meditation exercises which help in having a calming effect on the mind.

I sincerely hope this information helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.