Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

many odd habits, I need some help

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
I've developed so many odd habits over the years that I can't seem to control. Most go away for a while and can be gone for quite some time before showing up again for no apparent reason. They've been around for as long as I can remember and I've never mentioned them to anybody since quite a few of them are pretty strange. I'm hoping a doctor will be able to give me some idea what my problem is and how I can resolve these issues. I was diagnosed with selective mutisim as a kid which to this day has never been completely cured, so I don't know if that has anything to do with any of my habits, but I felt I should mention it anyway. I'll just list them below, so you can get an idea of what I have.

- I'm unable to write with a pencil for very long because I apply a force when writing that causes the pencil lead to break. Because of this I always have to write with a pen, but even with a pen you can see bold ink marks on the letters I write from applying so much pressure.

- I gently bang objects on the corner of things. For example with my remote control I bang it on my chair and with my computer mouse I bang it on the corner of my keyboard, or PC monitor.

- I touch hot objects even though I'm aware that they can burn me. For example whenever I'm brushing my teeth I'll touch the curling iron, when I'm in my room I touch the top of my light bulb, and when I'm making food I touch the stove top. All of these things I do whether the thing is on, or off. I don't do it because I enjoy pain, or wish to cause myself harm. I can't understand why I do this. It's just something I feel I have to do.

- I make this sound sometimes that just happens on and off. Some days it doesn't happen at all while other days I just can't seem to get it to stop.

- I wouldn't really call this a habit (it probably has to do with my selective mutisim). Anyway it's very hard for me to make eye contact with someone for more than a few seconds. This makes really any social interaction difficult for me.

These are really just the top ones. I have so many things wrong with me that I don't feel comfortable mentioning anywhere. I'm hoping I can get help some help with the problems I mentioned and maybe someone has an idea what's wrong with me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|