Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

Mammogram use ?

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
good morning,

i am 22 years old and i was told to have a mammogram done, by my gynae.
is this normal for someone my age to have a mamogram?
what does it look for, and would it tell me specifically if the lump is cancerous or not, or do they have to operate and remove it first?

thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Unless there is a history of breast cancer in your family, they are not necessary until you are 40.

They look for abnormal tissue. If they find something suspicious, they go back and do a more in depth look (same thing as a mammo, only using a smaller plate, which I heard hurts worse). And once that is done, they can tell if it is cancerous or not.
|
Users who thank Lilly Ivy for this post: schroek 

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2008
Experienced User
Did your gyno tell you to have a mammogram done after he/she did a breast examination on you?

A mammogram squishes your boob and gives you an X-ray that looks for lumps. They will see many lumps, and the computer will check to see if they are malignant or benign.

Don't worry about it. I'm sure if the doctor wanted to have you get it immediately, he/she would've told you about it.
|
Users who thank Sydney123456 for this post: schroek 

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2008
Experienced User
Its never too early or too late to have a mammogram. All having it does is pick up irregular tissue masses, if they are found to be a problem then they look further and then could take a sample. But there is no sense in worrying until you have something to worry about I had a mammogram at 20 for a lump which was nothing. Also remember we are not entirely sure of how people develop cancer and stress is a contributing factor ... so you stressing abuot it can only make things worse.
|
Users who thank worriedauzzi for this post: schroek 

replied August 5th, 2008
i am panicking please help
hi,
I am new here and to everything i have not been DXed with this yet
but i am scared out of my mind. I am 41 and Just had my very 1st
mammogram and that was friday on the 31.today is tuesday the 5th
and i recieved a letter in the mail saying this:
Dear patient:
Your recent Mammography examination showed a finding that requires
additional imaging studies for a complete evalution.Most findings are benign(not cancer)
Please call to shedule an appointment for these tests if you have not already done so.
I am scared this is my very 1st mammogram ever...can someone help me please!
I have very bad anxiety/panic attacks and i am going crazy. I am going in tomorrow.
thank you for any help...tina
|

User Profile
replied August 6th, 2008
Experienced User
Honestly like 3 out of 5 women get a call back, it could just be a fatty tissue build up. Don't worry until you find out the results, because I'm sure you are fine, they just need to make sure all masses are benign. Good luck Smile
|

replied August 6th, 2008
hi
hi,
thank you as i am really freakni out so i am definately praying hard.
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2008
Experienced User
Don't worry ... my mum has had a call back so has 3 of my friends, all were for non cancerous masses. Good luck Smile
|
Tags: lump
Quick Reply